WAG Some news on Geddert himself - suspended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not really sure that I understand why Luikin who was at 2010 World's as Rebecca Bross' personal coach was singled out specifically. I understand that the whole team situation was toxic after they lost, and Luikin has been guilty of other stuff - but in exactly this situation surely Martha as NTC and Brestyan/Wu as the 2 head team coaches would have the biggest responsibility to speak and reassure an athlete?

I'm not really sure that I understand why Luikin who was at 2010 World's as Rebecca Bross' personal coach was singled out specifically.
Because he is the current NTC. She is concerned that if he played along back then, then nothing about the national team culture will change under his leadership. Brestyan and Wu may have more culpability, but currently, they don't have the influence Luiken does.

I am sorry but this, this crap right here is the problem. It was the same dang excuse with Nassar and Karolyi. Just because you haven’t witnessed something doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened!

Listen to the words of Ohashi, Larson, Atler and understand the interactions between two male coaches are very different than daily coach/gymnast interactions.

And with all due respect, you coaches are quite often the worst at defending your own kind. Heck one of the “expert” USAG coaches on this very board referred my kid to the abusive coach who chased her out of the sport and damaged her body permanently. He probably still thinks her old coach is a fine coach.

Of course he wasn’t privy to her being called fat, stupid, lazy on a regular basis for 4 years. He didn’t travel to meets where my daughter and her teammates would be dragged to restaurants, where he coaches would eat and drink and yuck it up, while telling the waiters the girls were to be served nothing but salad. He didn’t hear that coach tell the PA who said my daughter needed to see a surgeon, that my daughter was faking it and it was all in her head. He didn’t watch her suffer an entire level 10 season in agony from her “fake” injury, while her coaches called her a lazy idiot who wasn’t worth their time to coach. And he didn’t sit through 2 damn surgeries to fix a limb that will never be normal for my daughter again.

So no, pardon me if I consider the Valeri seems great to me line, to be a giant pile of crap. I believe the athletes, not the coaches club.

After all that has been witnessed in the courtroom I find it very hard to swallow Coachp's comment. I respect you Coachp but your comments are the exact problem that has landed gymnastics in this horrifying situation. A comment along the lines of:

My experience with Val have all been professional, but after learning what I have over this last week, I will surely watch him closely in the future and alert authorities if something alarms me.

A statement of this type would have earned you more respect and possibly admiration of parents.

After all that has been witnessed in the courtroom I find it very hard to swallow Coachp's comment. I respect you Coachp but your comments are the exact problem that has landed gymnastics in this horrifying situation. A comment along the lines of:

My experience with Val have all been professional, but after learning what I have over this last week, I will surely watch him closely in the future and alert authorities if something alarms me.

A statement of this type would have earned you more respect and possibly admiration of parents.
I did not watch all the testimony nor have read/ heard anything about liukin , that is why I asked "did I miss something"..... and yes every time I have been with him I have seen nothing but professional behavior. What do you want me tot do lie about it?

I am sorry but this, this crap right here is the problem. It was the same dang excuse with Nassar and Karolyi. Just because you haven’t witnessed something doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened!

Listen to the words of Ohashi, Larson, Atler and understand the interactions between two male coaches are very different than daily coach/gymnast interactions.

And with all due respect, you coaches are quite often the worst at defending your own kind. Heck one of the “expert” USAG coaches on this very board referred my kid to the abusive coach who chased her out of the sport and damaged her body permanently. He probably still thinks her old coach is a fine coach.

Of course he wasn’t privy to her being called fat, stupid, lazy on a regular basis for 4 years. He didn’t travel to meets where my daughter and her teammates would be dragged to restaurants, where he coaches would eat and drink and yuck it up, while telling the waiters the girls were to be served nothing but salad. He didn’t hear that coach tell the PA who said my daughter needed to see a surgeon, that my daughter was faking it and it was all in her head. He didn’t watch her suffer an entire level 10 season in agony from her “fake” injury, while her coaches called her a lazy idiot who wasn’t worth their time to coach. And he didn’t sit through 2 damn surgeries to fix a limb that will never be normal for my daughter again.

So no, pardon me if I consider the Valeri seems great to me line, to be a giant pile of crap. I believe the athletes, not the coaches club.
I don't work at Woga.... I said every time I have worked with him. Meaning the ranch etc... That is why I asked "have I missed something" meaning what did i miss!

I did not watch all the testimony nor have read/ heard anything about liukin , that is why I asked "did I miss something"..... and yes every time I have been with him I have seen nothing but professional behavior. What do you want me tot do lie about it?

As I read your post I read it as a defense of Liukin. It is impossible to hear voice inflections in an online post, possibly you were only stating facts.

To answer what do I want you to do. I want a coach that seems to me to be a great coach to listen to the athletes and truly consider that the things they are proclaiming have truth in them. It is cliche but I want a great coach to lead in every aspect of their field not just in the gym with their girls.

I don't work at Woga.... I said every time I have worked with him. Meaning the ranch etc... That is why I asked "have I missed something" meaning what did i miss!

Mattie Larsen called him out for shunning her after she fell at world's and being a part of the problem with the ranch.
Ohashi has called him out for bullying her about her weight and his demoralizing weigh ins.

weigh-ins are still around. I have friends who came from gyms where their 8 year olds were being weighed. Shunning, Ignooring, is used ALL OVER. it happened to my son when he was 12....for 6 months.
It happens in my DD gym....with some coaches.....ignoring a kid is devastating to them, yet its still common practice.
Humiliation is a used all the time too! WHY??? cuz its easier than taking the time to really teach and guide or to get to the bottom of fears.

The WHOLE SALAMI needs to change.....I don't know Aimee Boorman personally, but I have heard a lot of stuff related to her coaching in a very positive way and giving Simone time off if she needed it, and actually listening to her, and working together as a team....etc. But what do I know.....maybe she is the same as the rest of them. Or maybe a much better example of how US Coaching should become. There IS a better way to make champions and that Marta crap is not it.

Yes, I keep wondering if Team USA managed to be so successful while all of this depravity was going on, how much more successful could it have been with positive, healthy coaching?
Simone is a testament to that....It can be done. And everybody keeps saying well, yes, shes an anomaly- But is she? How many 'anomalies' have you seen that left the sport at 10 yo, broken?

High level sports is tough and I dont think Simone is any exception but it seems as a whole that she got to have a bigger say in her training. She was able to voice herself and own it a bit more.

When my kid leaves the sport, she should leave happy and with good memories (and life lessons)...NOT nightmares.

As I read your post I read it as a defense of Liukin. It is impossible to hear voice inflections in an online post, possibly you were only stating facts.

To answer what do I want you to do. I want a coach that seems to me to be a great coach to listen to the athletes and truly consider that the things they are proclaiming have truth in them. It is cliche but I want a great coach to lead in every aspect of their field not just in the gym with their girls.
? Please don't lump me into your frustrations with USAG. I use this site as a news source with this case (like many). I saw a post regarding liukin , who I haven't heard anything about. That doesn't mean things haven't been said , it just means I haven't heard . The speculation is and has been that Nastia was possibly spared by NASSAR because he feared Liukin would find out. So I was under the impression that he was not involved . The weighing of athletes mentioned above are a separate issue entirely . I do not nor ever will weigh kids , but it is a practice some gyms do including some colleges. So until a formal dismissal of such practices is implemented I really dont forsee
Any change or action.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
My reply starts at the ? Mark Sorry messed up my post and on my phone .

Simone is a testament to that....It can be done. And everybody keeps saying well, yes, shes an anomaly- But is she? How many 'anomalies' have you seen that left the sport at 10 yo, broken?

High level sports is tough and I dont think Simone is any exception but it seems as a whole that she got to have a bigger say in her training. She was able to voice herself and own it a bit more.

When my kid leaves the sport, she should leave happy and with good memories (and life lessons)...NOT nightmares.

Simone may be an anomaly when it comes to her talent. But succeeding under positive coaching is NOT an anomaly.

Kids who are motivated by fear and punishment will only ever do enough to avoid punishment. The only reason it has aappeared to have worked in USA gymnastics is because the higher levels of the sport attract highly self motivated athletes. These kids are generally driven despite their coacnung styles not because of them.

Done correctly, positive coaching will always garner better results than negative.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back