WAG Some ramblings on a teeny tiny victory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Orangesoda

Proud Parent
My daughter, 5yrs, did her first unassisted back hip circle today. And then she did one more. The look on her face was so good - she was pretty surprised when she ended upright.

I've been so impressed by and appreciative of her coach. Dd's the last one in her group to get the skill. As a mom, I try not to compare but you know...when your kid's the last one...you notice. I've watched the coach so carefully and she's never made a big deal about it - just spots dd and moves on. No pressure, no comparisons. Even today, when she did the first one on her own, coach didn't make a big deal about it. She just gave her a pat and a smile and everything moved forward.

Anyways, my mind has been turning since we left the gym. I think the coach not making a big hairy deal about attaining new skills shows the kids that the effort is just as important as the accomplishment. Even when dd came out of the gym, I had to fight the urge to fixate on the new skill. Dd mentioned it and was ready to move on in about two seconds. The coach is teaching mom something too I guess. Ha. At least until I'm not allowed to watch anymore - I think parents are kicked out at the next preteam level.

And last, my naive perception that we were at the back of the pack was blown. In one day dd went from having the absolute worst bhc in the group to having the best one - not that I'm still comparing or anything...I think maybe she's just a "rigid" type gymnast, if that makes any sense. She keeps those toes pointed and legs glued together or she doesn't do it at all! It's a marathon. Fine. I get it. Ha.

This is a pretty good example of how learning should be acknowledged. The kid makes a back hip circle, the coach knows, the kid knows, the team mates know, and geez.... even you know. Positive rants are sometimes beneficial, but are out of place when used for every new skill. Ideally the kids will work and learn to satisfy themselves instead of others.... and a rant just says that they are at the gym to please the coach to distraction and that skills are the exception when the hope is they are the norm.

Legs pointed??? Glued together???

Hey! Any skill done with sloppy body lines and poor form really isn't the true skill. So in a sense, the kids doing back hip circles with bent hips/legs and flailing limbs really aren't doing the skill, and really won't for a much longer time because they think they have it when they don't.

This is a pretty good example of how learning should be acknowledged. The kid makes a back hip circle, the coach knows, the kid knows, the team mates know, and geez.... even you know. Positive rants are sometimes beneficial, but are out of place when used for every new skill. Ideally the kids will work and learn to satisfy themselves instead of others.... and a rant just says that they are at the gym to please the coach to distraction and that skills are the exception when the hope is they are the norm.

Legs pointed??? Glued together???

Hey! Any skill done with sloppy body lines and poor form really isn't the true skill. So in a sense, the kids doing back hip circles with bent hips/legs and flailing limbs really aren't doing the skill, and really won't for a much longer time because they think they have it when they don't.

In reply to the above:

I'd never thought of a kid checking off a skill because they can throw it but before it is refined. It's a good point and obviously one I like to endorse since it supports my kid's method of learning. Ha.

I think part of the reason I've been thinking so much about the experience is there're a few other moms in the waiting room who talk constantly about what their daughters are doing on their home bars and trampoline - one in particular is irritated that the coach won't look at her (4yr old) kid's back handspring and back walkover since her kid "taught herself" a long time ago. There's a lot of back door bragging. Then in the next breath the same mom can't figure out why her dd won't stop throwing her head to the side when she does bhs drills and why her spotted bhs looks more like a back flip. Bad habits at home, anyone?

I'm just SO glad I found this website and have adopted some of the member's theory on gym. I feel wise beyond my gymnastics years! Haha.

Then in the next breath the same mom can't figure out why her dd won't stop throwing her head to the side when she does bhs drills and why her spotted bhs looks more like a back flip. Bad habits at home, anyone?

I'm just SO glad I found this website and have adopted some of the member's theory on gym. I feel wise beyond my gymnastics years! Haha.

I hear ya!!!
I used to think I learned a lot from those moms in the lobby. Nope. definitely didn't learn anything useful. HERE, I have learned a lot. ALL of it useful :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back