Parents Some revelations are just so obvious...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD just doesn't eat period. I have to fight with her everyday to eat something. She'll have days where what she eats doesn't even equal one meal. Her practice is only 1 hour and 30 minutes, but I worry. I don't understand how she can have any energy and not feel sick. She's almost 4 and weighs 26 lbs. She's not a picky eater because even with food she likes she will eat one bite and be done. She also won't eat cheese or meat of any kind. Luckily she likes peanut butter. I guess she's alive so she must be getting enough.

I think that my dd could definately use more proteirn before a workout but I can't think of anything that she will eat. She gets home at 3:50 from school and we leave at 4 for gym. So she eats a snack in the car. We get home at 8 and she is usually starving. She usually eats grains or fruits. Does anyone have any protein ideas for a kid that doesn't like cheese, peanut butter, tuna, or lunch meat?

How about eggs? My dd loves hard boiled eggs or a scrambled egg sandwich before practices. She is not a big meat eater so trying to get her to get her protien can be a challenge. When she was little (ages 5-7) I would make her a Carnation Instant Breakfast drink with soy milk before school because she wasn't big on eating so early in the morning. You also may want to try some frozen vanilla yogurt fruit smoothies before practice. How old is your dd? is she at that picky age where she doesn't like anything? If so, she will probably outgrow this stage when you slowly introduce new foods to her. At least that is what happened with my dd!!
Good luck!!

How about fish? I am pretty lucky my DD LOVES fish.. she was in heaven on vacation when she got to eat a Salmon BLT Sandwich (well it was more of a Salmon B.. she took off the lettuce and Tomato) LOL. She also LOVES Sushi (california rolls mostly)

We also love hummus in my house, not the plain kind. The red pepper kind is way yummy, just dip baby carrots into it.. or pita bread.

DD also really likes Cliff Bars.. they are better tasting than the yucky protein bars and have less sugar..

Finally...gym mum uk.. it is NEVER too early for a glass of wine! LOL except I prefer Pinot Grigio or Saviongion Blanc...

Last edited:
We do smoothies every day. It's the only thing I've found that I can do consistently, it's super fast, dd loves and she can have in the car. I use Dr. Smoothie mix (google it, but don't bry it from Dr. Smoothie directly.... other sites have it cheaper) Anyway, it's 100% crushed fruit concentrate... I throw it in the blender with water, ice and tofu for protein. Then I pour it into cups with lids and straws and the kids (we carpool) drink them on the way to practice. Sometimes they'll eat a granola bar or toast with peanut butter, too but if nothing else they at least get the smoothie.

How about eggs? My dd loves hard boiled eggs or a scrambled egg sandwich before practices. She is not a big meat eater so trying to get her to get her protien can be a challenge. When she was little (ages 5-7) I would make her a Carnation Instant Breakfast drink with soy milk before school because she wasn't big on eating so early in the morning. You also may want to try some frozen vanilla yogurt fruit smoothies before practice. How old is your dd? is she at that picky age where she doesn't like anything? If so, she will probably outgrow this stage when you slowly introduce new foods to her. At least that is what happened with my dd!!
Good luck!!

Hard boiled eggs are popular around here, I forgot! Egg salad sandwiches are as well.

And Carnation breakfast is yummy as well. It is good as a milk shake, too. Milk, ice and some Carnation Chocolate breakfast drink. Yum.

My DD just doesn't eat period. I have to fight with her everyday to eat something. She'll have days where what she eats doesn't even equal one meal. Her practice is only 1 hour and 30 minutes, but I worry. I don't understand how she can have any energy and not feel sick. She's almost 4 and weighs 26 lbs. She's not a picky eater because even with food she likes she will eat one bite and be done. She also won't eat cheese or meat of any kind. Luckily she likes peanut butter. I guess she's alive so she must be getting enough.

My big DD hasn't been much of an eater most of her life, but when she started having a 1.5 hour class, it was non-negotiable. I simply told her she had to eat all her meal/snack or we wouldn't go. I never gave her more than I knew she could eat, but she had to eat something before. I worried a lot about her moving to team because at the time, she was 5 1/2 and about 35lbs, but she has gained 5lbs since moving up to team and is now 6 years old and 40lbs. Woohoo. She also eats more now, especially since I still make her eat before practice and she comes home hungry.

As for picky kids, I found mine was a grazer. I tried to always have healthy snacks out and available and tried to pack calories into those little snacks. This article gave me ideas as well.. FEEDING TODDLERS: 17 TIPS FOR PLEASING THE PICKY EATER

This article is good for teaching kids to eat healthy of all ages. THE ABC'S OF TEACHING NUTRITION TO YOUR KIDS

And some fun recipes. I really have found that presentation can make a huge difference as well as letting her help me make things. For some reason she likes to eat it if she helped to make it. :D She was like that as a younger kid as well.

Good luck. I think that as long as she is active, healthy and happy she is probably fine, but it can't hurt to help her to learn to eat healthy and try new things sometimes. :D

Thanks for some of the great ideas. She loves had boiled eggs so I will definately try those. The smoothies sound great too!

I throw it in the blender with water, ice and tofu for protein.

Tofu huh? That never crossed my mind. Probably because I never had much good to say about the stuff... but it was always added as a topping to salads and soups. Reminded me too much of goat cheeze. (yuck).

But blended into a smoothie.... not a bad idea at all. Thanks!

I'm loving all the great snack ideas.

But, I'm a little confused. I've always heard that protein should wait until after a workout. Something about it taking longer time and more energy to digest and if you eat it before the workout, all your body's energy is digesting and not in the muscles. But if you load up on protein after the workout, the muscles are hungry for it and will absorb it more readily. :confused:

I have tried making her eat by sitting there and insisting that she eat or she can't get up. She put the food in her mouth and chewed it, but couldn't/wouldn't swallow. She actually ended up gagging and then throwing up.

I have noticed that she eats her best after practice. It's the best time to get her to eat something new because she is so hungry. Last night I actually got her to eat zuchinni (sp). I had to tell a little white lie that it was a cooked pickle, but it worked.

Luckily when she eats it's usually very healthy. We as a family have been following the Dr Oz diet. So we eat nothing with partially hydrogenated oils, corn syrup, sugar in the first 5 ingrediants etc.

I have tried making her eat by sitting there and insisting that she eat or she can't get up. She put the food in her mouth and chewed it, but couldn't/wouldn't swallow. She actually ended up gagging and then throwing up. etc.

We used to go through this with Nastia ALL the time when she was 5yo and younger. It was so frustrating. She just wouldn't eat. Refused outright. We tried everything would could think of. She might eat an apple. Maybe a banana, but nothing much else.

When we talked to her Doctor about it, she said: "I've never met a child who starved herself. When she's ready to eat, she will."

So, we backed off. Now at 9, Nastia still isn't the best eater, but she's much better then she was before. Our headache now is making darn sure NO foods come in contact with each other if they are served together. Such as... corn or chicken can not touch mashed potatoes. At all! Because if they touch, they become immediately inedible. :D So everything is served "on the side".

Whatever works. :sigh:

Shawn: Interesting question about how and when proteins work. I'm gonna contact a few sources. Good thought.

Last edited:
Shawn, it would appear that it's best before AND after. I just called our company fitness center and asked one of the trainers the same question.

"Proteins consumed at least 45 minutes to 1 hour before a workout (this was highly stressed) will help re-enegize the body. Any remaining protien levels will help repair muscle strains or damage. But when the body calls for energy and repair, protiens will serve as the gasoline before the band-aid." Also, food high in glucose was stressed more then foods high in proteins for energy.

Also see:

Eating After Exercise - Post-Exercise Meal

And

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/a/EatForExercise.htm

Last edited:
Wow, Tim_Dad! Thanks for going to such lengths to figure this out for me. So, let's see if I understand the lesson. Proteins eaten at least 45 min - 1 hr before practice will digest in time and provide the body with energy for the workout. Likewise, a peanut butter sandwich in the car on the way to the gym is probably not a good idea. However, an apple in the car after the peanut butter sandwich at lunch time (an hour ago) is a fine idea and will provide an extra energy boost. Yes?

:yes: That's my understanding.

And the suggestions of fruit smoothies pre-gym/competitions... rock solid. Nothing but good.

It was also said in a follow-up conversation (the trainer called be back 5 minutes later) that man-made foods (i.e. bread/muffins/cookies etc) should be avoided before a workout. (all complex-carbs). Also foods that are high in fat...so yes to chicken if eaten early enough, but make sure it's skinless. Not KFC. Otherwise the it won't digest in time, and could lead to tummy aches. Again, glycogen was stressed more then protein for the very reasons you pointed out. So nice call!

Lastly, somewhat obvious, but being that time of year - Avoid turkey before a workout! That'll make em sleepy.

Last edited:
Hm. The high fat is a problem. My daughter is a pretty picky eater. She usually wants hot dogs (no bun) or mac and cheese or a scrambled egg sandwich for lunch. I also give her some kind of fruit (usually all-natural applesauce or mandarin oranges or peaches or apple slices) and milk. She always finishes lunch an hour before practice starts so the timing is good. So far she hasn't had any problems, though she does occasionally have "off" days. I'll have to start paying more attention to what she eats on those days.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back