Parents Some revelations are just so obvious...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I could kick myself for not thinking about this before.

Every once in a while, DD just wouldn't do well at practice. Very limited effort, day dreaming, doesn't remain focused, etc. She'd go-though-the-motions and and all, but never much more. This was especially the case last Monday. Just laxidaisy, forgetting routines, etc.

She's a good sleeper, typically getting 9-10 hours a night. So we didn't think that was the case. We just dismissed it as another bad day.

When I asked DW what she had to eat before class, it was tomato soup and a little salad. Last night, she had deer steaks (high in protein), a few forks of taters, and a veggie (Tomato) an hour before class.

Oh my goodness, the difference was night and day!! I saw strong concentrated efforts, and she was having a blast. Smiling all the time. I'm am convinced that pre-training meals (with lots of protein) can make or break a trainning session. Yea, I know... it's so flippin obvious.

I thought I'd mention it here as a reminder that our gymmies... need fuel! Who'd-a-thunk? :proposetoast:

Also drinking enough water is important:

Dehydration can lead to poor concentration, tiredness, headaches and can impair mental function. Just a two per cent loss in body water can reduce energy levels by 20 per cent. (from a dehydration website)

Also drinking enough water is important:

Dehydration can lead to poor concentration, tiredness, headaches and can impair mental function. Just a two per cent loss in body water can reduce energy levels by 20 per cent. (from a dehydration website)

I've always been huge on making sure my kids drink enough. I think about 90% of headaches are caused by dehydration as well. A lot of times they will complain of a headache and when I have them drink water they feel better.

Thanks for the revelation:)! Last year dd seemed to be so much more excited about gym than this year, and now that I think of it, last year she didn't start gym until 5:30, so we had time for her to have a real dinner before gym. This year they moved start time to 4:45, so there is no time for a formal dinner before she has to leave. I get off work at 4:00 and only have time to get home, pick her up and get to the gym. She does eat, but I should probably make sure there is some protein in there to get her through the evening! It's funny the things you don't think about when you're going 100 miles an hour that are so obvious:eek:!

I think that my dd could definately use more proteirn before a workout but I can't think of anything that she will eat. She gets home at 3:50 from school and we leave at 4 for gym. So she eats a snack in the car. We get home at 8 and she is usually starving. She usually eats grains or fruits. Does anyone have any protein ideas for a kid that doesn't like cheese, peanut butter, tuna, or lunch meat?

Yeah, my girls take a gym supper with them to school, so when they get off the bus at gym they have a good 30 minutes to eat well and digest. All four food groups are in it, I also leave stuff at gym just in case. Nuts, hummus PB, cheese etc

They both have refillable water bottles for school and gym, and they always come back empty.

Agree Tim_Dad, pre-training meal is very important!

Remember though, some days they are just off! The crazy lady that I am, I like dd to have a really off day leading up to a meet because I feel she gets the bad out and will do great at the meet. Well, she has a meet this Sunday and she hasn't had an off day this week yet - I'll attribute it to have a good pre-training meal and leave it at that! :p

How about slices of any left-over chicken, beef, etc? I know you said she doesn't like cheese, but will she eat pizza? Does she like Hummus? It's very tasty and great as a dip w/veggies or crackers.

I think that my dd could definately use more proteirn before a workout but I can't think of anything that she will eat. She gets home at 3:50 from school and we leave at 4 for gym. So she eats a snack in the car. We get home at 8 and she is usually starving. She usually eats grains or fruits. Does anyone have any protein ideas for a kid that doesn't like cheese, peanut butter, tuna, or lunch meat?

What about a fruit smoothie, easy to make and portable. Milk, plus extra skim milk powder, a bit of yougourt, a half banana and a handfull of frozen fruit. My girls love them and it gives the protein, calcium and fruit boost all in one drink.

Does she like Hummus?

Does anyone? :D Kidding. I'm sure someone does. (somewhere)

Like Momof3, getting Nastia to eat anything healthy is always a challange. Especially combinations of healthy things. She's picky, and has as light appetite. So what we give her, we try to make it as filling as we can.

I like the ideas so far....keep em coming. If anyone has any good energy meal or snack ideas... now is the time to share!

Speaking of which... .are those over the counter energy bars "too much" for young ones? I'm thinking the answer is yes. Ive only had one once... tasted like... well... not chocolate. (being polite)

I'm a smoothie junky myself. We have plenty of smoothie-makings laying around. Also -- we like snack sticks. Normally it's all-beef, but since it's deer season, we just has 20lbs of deer processed into snack sticks. Nastia loves em.

Last edited:

Speaking of which... .are those over the counter energy bars "too much" for young ones? I'm thinking the answer is yes. Ive only had one once... tasted like... well... not chocolate. (being polite)

We love hummus, kids use it as dip for veggies.:p But, then we are wierd!

The problem with some over the counter energy bars is that they are full of sugar and also the wrong kind of fats. They also often taste of chemicals, after all that is what they are made of.

Nuts of any kind are great. It is rare to find a child that won't eat peanuts. A handful is a perfect protein boost. A mix of pretzels, peanuts and raisins can make a good snack pre-gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
since it's deer season, we just has 20lbs of deer processed into snack sticks

Aren't we all different (and so funny, too!)? I just cant imagine asking anyone in England "Would you like a deer snapstick?"

Makes me think of that song "Doe a deer .... a female deer...."

Oh well, maybe I slink off back into my corner and try a glass of water and see if it improves my own brain function (its too early for the chardonnay, anyway).

You stole my thought !!!!!!

My DD is picky and eats a little bit at a time and is starving every hour and a half. Part of this is due to reflux (doc says she trained herself when she was little not to each much at one time).

She loves popcorn and a cheese stick on the way to practice. We also try apples or bananas or grapes. She does like Slim Jim which they have at the snack bar, nuts or trail mix as well.

I would love some ideas too

Oh, trust me...we sing that song too while hunting!

"Doe a deer .... a female deer.... BANG!.... Fa la la la laaaaa la la la la!" :D

You are bad:rolleyes:, but funny I must admit! It's okay though, we are waiting to get ours back from the butcher! Last year we didn't do any salami or pepperoni sticks, so we are making up for it this year:D! It's funny, I was raised a city kid and would have at one time cried about someone shooting a deer, but now with raising my kids in the country, I tell them dad got a deer and they are like "WooHoo" can we see it?!

The only meat that will cross DD's tastebuds are chicken nuggets from Wendy's!LOL! I know...not the best thing for her. But it's better than nothing at all... I suppose. I have had many talks with her(she's 13yrs old), & explained that the way she works out, she needs to increase her protein intake. Her body needs it, so she has fuel to build muscle. I've tried everything & guess what she finally eats when she gets home from school...before practice??? Scrambled eggs with ketchup on them!!! She's sure it's the eggs that helped her get her giant last week!:D

Fa la la la laaaaa la la la la!" :D

Isn't that a Christmas Carol - Deck the halls or something? The next line is actually... Far a long long way to run.

Honestly! Some People!!

:rotfl:

I'm off to read Bambi to my littlest.

I definitely think eating helps. I know that some of the kids that are in school all day and then go right to practice often seem tired, cranky.

Here are some snacks/meals we use before practice:

Bagel (most bagels have quite a bit of protein) and cream cheese.
Banana smoothy made with milk, banana, ice and a little bit of vanilla protein powder (from Sprouts, no soy in it)
Cheese stick and granola bar
Fried egg sandwich
Scrambled egg/cheese/salsa burrito
Pizza roll (tortilla, pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese rolled up and baked for 10min at 400 degrees)
Chicken salad sandwich
Celery with peanut butter or cream cheese
Apple with peanut butter
Trail mix with nuts in it (usually peanuts or almond), glass of milk
Granola bar, glass of milk
Bean/cheese burrito

If a kid doesn't like peanut butter, have you tried alternatives like almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc? Might work.

I definitely think eating helps. I know that some of the kids that are in school all day and then go right to practice often seem tired, cranky.

Here are some snacks/meals we use before practice:

Bagel (most bagels have quite a bit of protein) and cream cheese.
Banana smoothy made with milk, banana, ice and a little bit of vanilla protein powder (from Sprouts, no soy in it)
Cheese stick and granola bar
Fried egg sandwich
Scrambled egg/cheese/salsa burrito
Pizza roll (tortilla, pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese rolled up and baked for 10min at 400 degrees)
Chicken salad sandwich
Celery with peanut butter or cream cheese
Apple with peanut butter
Trail mix with nuts in it (usually peanuts or almond), glass of milk
Granola bar, glass of milk
Bean/cheese burrito

If a kid doesn't like peanut butter, have you tried alternatives like almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc? Might work.

Mariposamama - You are awesome:D! Thanks for the great list. I am actually feeling a little less guilty now, because dd actually eats some of these items before gym;)!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back