MAG Someone remind me...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

acam1103

Proud Parent
Of how sure I was that they would never get their circles on mushroom. Because right now I think I'm MORE sure the kip will be the death of us. The drama, the angst, the "I'm closer than you are" of it. Ugh!

So...how many days/weeks/months did it take for your DS to master the kip?

Next year I'll ask the same about giants

Maste the kip? Forever! For it to come and go? Just shy of forever.

I swear...my ds was a L4, L5, and then 1/2 way thru his 2nd year of 5, the kip started making appearances. But it would hide under the mat regularly. By the time he was L6, It was consistent....

Maste the kip? Forever! For it to come and go? Just shy of forever.

I swear...my ds was a L4, L5, and then 1/2 way thru his 2nd year of 5, the kip started making appearances. But it would hide under the mat regularly. By the time he was L6, It was consistent....

Oh man, not the answer I was looking for :). They never worked on kips in level 4 so it's all new since June. I can't handle an entire year or more of this!!! Oh well, I guess I'll focus on the positive. No more straight jump up vault :)

1.5 years! Started it at the beginning of his 1st L5 year- started hitting it everytime competition season his 2nd L5 season. June to the following November. He was young though- 6/7. I've seen older boys get it faster!

The whole year of L5. DS's coach said he never made a kip all season unless it was in a meet or a contest. By L6 it was consistent.

Reactions: sce
DS got his about six months after his level 5 season ended. It's still inconsistent. He probably worked on it for about 1.5 years total.

FWIW, my DD got hers more quickly - within about 5-6 months of working on it consistently. And THAT had felt like ages!

I hope this sounds more encouraging than braggy, but the kip was one skill that DS got very quickly. He also didn't work on it as a L4 but had it consistently by the start of L5. So it can happen! Now, on the other hand, circles took forever and he never did get the muscle up!

I would guess about 8 months from the time they started working on it until the time that most of the guys in the gym had it.

One interesting thing about this with us is that they all seemed to get it at once when working with a different coach at the state
clinic. In the L5 routine, the kip comes right after switching direction on the bar. During that switch, they'd lose momentum.
The coach that they were working with was giving each boy an extra push after the half-turn, so they'd all have that momentum.
It was like I could see the "click" in their eyes. The next week at practice, they could all do it some of the time.

It's times like this that I tend to wish that there could be more variety of coaches at the gym. Or that coaches were perhaps
less rigid in their "This is how we do things" thinking. I always felt like if something wasn't coming, it's time to make some changes.
It reminds me of the idea that if a child isn't doing well at school, perhaps the problem is with the environment/teaching style
more than the child.

Varies a lot. For DS's team and his teammates, they started working them in the summer after L4. Acquisition ranged from about two months to two years. My daughter took three years to get a consistent straight arm kip. The good news is that I have never seen any kid who stayed in the sport not get it eventually.

It's good practice for everything that comes later, says the parent of the child who has "almost" had a good pbar giant now for three years running, is "almost" making his rings giant that has been in progress since fall 2016, and has taken to coming home from practice every day for the last several weeks to report that he "almost" made his D flop on pommel horse. :rolleyes:

ROFL about pbar and rings giants. D's PT was giving a list of waht D could/couldn't do. He said "he can't do pbar or rings giants." My reply, "you'r right, but how did yo uknow that?" LOL

D almost had both pre-injury. He did find his blind change last night, which was missing on Monday. Good news with this injury....his basics are beautiful!

Of how sure I was that they would never get their circles on mushroom. Because right now I think I'm MORE sure the kip will be the death of us. The drama, the angst, the "I'm closer than you are" of it. Ugh!

So...how many days/weeks/months did it take for your DS to master the kip?

Next year I'll ask the same about giants
It took him halfway through his level 5 season but that was the year that the gym was going through growing pains and they only got to practice high bar once a week.

My kid happened to get it super quickly, but he has two teammates who've been working hard on it for over a year and a half and aren't there yet. But if we're going to talk about mushroom, my kid is still pretty weak there. I think it really just depends on the kid, and it can be a huge range of time that is completely normal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back