WAG Sometimes I wonder what makes them tick

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AgingHippie

Proud Parent
I guess I'm just thinking out loud but sometimes I really wonder what makes them tick. My DD has been chasing a 36 all season, finally achieved that (barely) the last meet in March and then goes to a meet last weekend and gets up in the 37's.

I am just wondering if it is because:

a) She knew she already obtained the move-up score so she relaxed a bit instead of worrying about the score.

b) This last month is the first time since winter where they had uninterrupted practices be it the holidays, meets, spring break etc. and she was able to really perfect some details.

c) There was some really tough competition at this meet (the toughest we have seen this season) and she stepped up her game.

d) It was just her day when everything came together

Either way, she was thrilled with her personal progress. This sport just continues to amaze me in so many ways.

We are in the home stretch and I'm looking forward to the months with no meets.

As a gymnast I don't think it's A. It could have/probably was a mix of B/C/D imo

Can I add another option? I wasn't there so can't say and the only difference you mentioned was score. One of the early meets of the season that our team goes to has scores that are consistently higher by nearly a point for pretty much every girl in the gym. So judging differences could be part of it, but without knowing your kid I'd say its more likely D.

Can I add another option? I wasn't there so can't say and the only difference you mentioned was score. One of the early meets of the season that our team goes to has scores that are consistently higher by nearly a point for pretty much every girl in the gym. So judging differences could be part of it, but without knowing your kid I'd say its more likely D.

I actually wondered about that as well but she just looked different, stronger and more confident. Also a lot of her teammates came in right where they have been.

We have one more meet very soon before States so I guess that will be another clue to the puzzle.

A and D and I would add an E-Time- as had the time to progress and fine tune.

My dd had a very similar experience. Last meet of the season, state meet, everything finally came together. Scored her highest AA in the 36's and 9s on three events. Season started tough and finished on a high note. My vote is "d".

There is an expected "growth curve" regarding skills and such.

The way our kids train and when they start that training is designed for the kids to be at their peak level for their level at state time.

When we joined our gym, It was September. The coaches put her back a level. They felt she hadn't been appropriately trained over the summer at her old gym (it took about 15 mins of watching to know they were correct).
And they wouldn't be able to get her to where she should be by end of season. The feeling being it would affect her confidence. My feeling they were 100 percent correct. My regret, kicking myself that I didn't move her in June. From the it's a marathon not a sprint standpoint, she is now right where she should be.

e) hitting her season peak (and added experience + confidence)

Sometimes coaches don't always attack at the little picky details at the beginning of the season because let's face it, the season can be looooong. If kids do routines on routines on routines every single practice - they'll be burnt out of them by the 3rd meet. The last stretch is the most important one (March-May). Being a super picky coach doesn't always pay off unless you time it right. Not only that, but getting the experience of competing can make you feel more confident as the season progresses - and can ultimately increase your performance.

I think it's honestly a mixture of all your options, but I'm betting more on just good coaches knowing when to push her harder and when to fix her tiny, detailed mistakes.

I've always said, going from a 8.5 to a 9 is relatively easy. But going from a 9 to a 9.5 is very hard. Same about of tenths, but everything gets pickier the higher you score.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back