MAG Son just invited to join team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

RTT2

Proud Parent
He's 8 and very excited to start with the team this summer, but I have some questions. DD does JO at another gym so I know how demanding the sport is. DS is not as self disciplined as my daughter and generally less compliant. Is boys gymnastics as rigid as girls? I'm not suggesting he's going to run around breaking rules, I just can't see him thriving in the very strict environment that works for my daughter.

There are exceptions, but most boys' programs are more laid back. A lot of coaches I've seen tend to mix up the hard work stuff with fun stuff with the younger/newer guys. When my guy was in his first couple of years on team, his group probably got assigned the "duty" to fluff the pit together at least once or twice a week.

There are exceptions, but most boys' programs are more laid back. A lot of coaches I've seen tend to mix up the hard work stuff with fun stuff with the younger/newer guys. When my guy was in his first couple of years on team, his group probably got assigned the "duty" to fluff the pit together at least once or twice a week.

Great! That's exactly what I'm hoping for. The coaches seem very positive and supportive, but I haven't seen any team practices.

Reactions: sce
The coaches know that they are boys. But there are a variety of programs out there, some more strict than others. Enjoy the new adventure into boys gymnastics.

Reactions: RTT
I agree with the above. It is, in general, not as strict as girls. There are exceptions, but most coaches know they have boys, and boy needs are different. Cannot wait to hear how he does!

My son was just invited to join the team as well! Today was his first practice with his new group. He's 7, but I have no idea if he'll compete this year or not. They haven't told me a whole lot yet. I think it will depend on how things go this summer. His class definitely seemed less strict than the girls from what I could see today, but there was still plenty of conditioning. My older daughter was on team years ago, so I know a tiny bit about that side, but MAG is a whole different world to me. Excited to see how these little guys shape up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back