WAG Sophia and YES Floor Music Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovofu

Proud Parent
She is stuck on a floor routine cut she found on youtube of Mulans Decision (not great quality) and we found the song on Spotify but I am at a loss on how to turn that into a 1:30 cut for floor pice of music. OR if we are allowed to even cut music feom Spotify??? Choreography is in two weeks ao HELP please!!

what a coincidence- my daughter is also considering that piece but the faster version with the synthesizer music.. might be too short though

Not sure how Spotify works, but I think if you own a piece, you are free to do with it as you please.
I often buy instrumental versions to cut into floor musics.

Not sure how Spotify works, but I think if you own a piece, you are free to do with it as you please.
I often buy instrumental versions to cut into floor musics.
I think Spotify is more like a radio service- you pay to stream (or use the free version), but you don’t own any of the music.

We buy the instrumental versions off of iTunes, and then cut then. My DH was able to cut them using a (free) trial version of Audacity.

However, he did find that it if the version you buy is not in .mp3 or .mp4, you need to burn the file to a CD, and then you can pull it off and cut it and make it an .mp3.

We buy the instrumental versions off of iTunes, and then cut then. My DH was able to cut them using a (free) trial version of Audacity.

However, he did find that it if the version you buy is not in .mp3 or .mp4, you need to burn the file to a CD, and then you can pull it off and cut it and make it an .mp3.

Audacity can handle a variety of formats without needing to convert the files to .mp3, but music purchased within iTunes is often AAC or .m4a format, which Audacity doesn't like. iTunes can convert AAC and .m4a to .mp3 within the program itself. Before 2009, music purchased through iTunes had DRM copyright protection (those are often .m4p, some .aac) and the easiest way is to create an unprotected version that can be edited in Audacity is to burn it to a CD and import it as .wav or .mp3.

Reactions: kmc
Funny, I thought you meant that I had the "audacity" to suggest a teen would know.....I had no idea that Audacity was as a product....which is why I need a teen to figure it out for me...
Lol, if this had been a few years ago, I would have suggested Garage Band... which could also be taken the wrong way... "My kids don't have a garage band to make the music." I don't use it anymore because the upgraded version is :(:mad::confused::eek:.

Audacity (the app) allows multiple "undo"s and automatically moves the music after the cut to meet up with the start of the cut ... with Garage Band, you had to move it yourself which could cause problems if not super zoomed in.

I cut most of the music for our team. Since I am not allowed to spot (per my mean doctor), I take my laptop to gym and can work on music on the spot :).

Spotify is a streaming service. No, you are not allowed to rip music from Spotify and edit it. Just as you are not allowed to rip music from Youtube to edit it. Yes, people do it, but it is illegal and can have serious consequences if you are caught.

If you buy from iTunes, you CAN edit it ONLY for your own personal use. You cannot sell it or pay someone to edit it for you.

Here's some help on the legal junk: http://www.energymmusic.com/staying-legal.html

Or, there is another program called Switch... you can get a free trial of that to convert most types of audio files to mp3 (after legally purchasing them, of course), to import to Audacity to cut for your own personal use.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back