WAG Sore/shin splits after Mile Run...at school PE

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twocurlygirlz

Proud Parent
Looking to see if anyone is dealing with this-- my gymmie is rarely sore after practice- even a hard fought conditioning session. But she completed a timed mile run on Monday and thighs, shins, calves have been aching....normal...any other gymmies with same issues?

Looking to see if anyone is dealing with this-- my gymmie is rarely sore after practice- even a hard fought conditioning session. But she completed a timed mile run on Monday and thighs, shins, calves have been aching....normal...any other gymmies with same issues?
We have not had those issues since my daughter does not do much hard ground running. I do notice for all the conditioning she does running long distances is not in the program. Lot of short sprints and jogging around the bouncy floor apparatus.

My two gymmies are doing a 1.5k run at school today... So I will know tomorrow lol! Was she running on pavement? That's a lot harder on the body than a gym floor, grass being in between

My husband has always complained of that same pain whenever he runs, he recently bought calf sleeves for when he runs and he says the pain is gone! Someone told him it's because he has flat feet and the way he runs cause that pain.

My husband has always complained of that same pain whenever he runs, he recently bought calf sleeves for when he runs and he says the pain is gone! Someone told him it's because he has flat feet and the way he runs cause that pain.
might get her those compression sleeves for next mile run! thx for the recco

Does she have GOOD sneakers? Not OK, or fashionable, but GOOD? This is one area that I do not skimp on with my kids. They wear really good sneakers (we really like Brooks). I make sure that they have good arch supports in them. I actually take them to a running store that fits them, including having them run on an instore track and videoing them with the new shoes on to make sure that they aren't pronating. Bad shoes can cause so many other problems - knees, hips, back...

That being said, if she was running on concrete, that is bad. Concrete is so hard. My orthopedist when I was in college told me to never run on concrete again, that it was killing my knees.

I get really bad shin splints when I run and I have good gym shoes. I was an athlete and have never been good at running. What helped me was just sitting on the floor and touching my toes, , bending my body down as far as it would go. It will go away in a day or so.

Also, does she run on cement or a dirt/gravel track? I used to get them more while running on cement.

Yeah, running on pavement wreaks havoc on my shins...it isn't good to do very often. Having proper shoes is also super important and I also take my daughter to a running store to be fitted properly. She's currently in a New Balance shoe with a special insole. It's helped a lot.

Edited to add: the gym she trains at has the gymnast running year round (sprints and up to a mile distance....it varies), so the investment in the shoe has been worth it.

I would try to get her off running at the school, especially since they're running on concrete! It is causing your daughter unnecessary pain and could be injurious if it continues.

Also, there really is no benefit to distance running when it comes to gymnastics, either. Sprinting, oh yes! Distance running, no; there's no point. In fact, lots and lots of distance training can actually promote the growth of more slow twitch muscle fibers, not a good thing for gymnasts!

Ok I'm on it- maybe no more mile run =( I think she work her Under Armour running shoes or Asics- but not sure- she has plenty- she chooses what she wears depending on the outfit =( Thanks so much for all the feedback- at gym there is no long distance just vault sprints..maybe be time to write that note. Side note- she loves doing it though- she kicks all the boys butts and it makes her happy!

Ok I'm on it- maybe no more mile run =( I think she work her Under Armour running shoes or Asics- but not sure- she has plenty- she chooses what she wears depending on the outfit =( Thanks so much for all the feedback- at gym there is no long distance just vault sprints..maybe be time to write that note. Side note- she loves doing it though- she kicks all the boys butts and it makes her happy!

My experience with UA sneakers is that they have poor arch support, so that plus running on concrete could easily equal shin splints.

I second the GOOD running shoes advice. Running shoes, not just sneakers. Compression sleeves can help, as can checking her strike when she runs to make sure she isn't just running on her toes or something.
I love running myself, mostly trail but do run on flat/asphalt as well...but I see very little reason for them to do long distance running in PE.

ETS: I saw a huge difference in my own pain when I got better shoes, fixed my strike AND rolled out my legs more frequently. Good stretching of course, but the foam roller took care of my shins (no real good way to stretch those!)

So, my gymmies are not sore after their run today... But it sounds like there was some walking so maybe not a good comparison! Personally I would not be pulling my DD from long distance runs after one episode if soreness. It's good exercise and something she could continue with as an adult to stay fit. I would try figure out the actual issue and fix it rather than avoid it, might be something that will continue to affect her in other situations.

My DD ran track (100 meter, relay, and hurdles) while in level 4 practicing 14+ hrs per week. She was sore the first few practices and she had good running shoes and they ran on dirt. She was using some muscles that she hadn't used in gymnastics. By the 3rd week of practice, no soreness.

But yeah, this doesn't help in gymnastics for what we could tell so it's probably not worth the extra strain on her body. And if she practices gymnastics more than 9 hours a week, some schools will let you skip P.E. all together (in middle school anyway).

Hope this helps!

My daughter has independent study for PE. Last year in 5th grade she had to take the presidential physical fitness test. The 5th graders trained all year for it, but my daughter never did. She was still required to take the test, but because she sat out during PE had no idea that day that the test was supposed to be. On the day of the test she wore an ankle length pencil skirt. She passed the test in under the required 9 minutes, but her legs were sore for a week after because of the small stride she had to take from the skirt.

Run backwards! Shin splints occur specifically when there is an imbalance in the muscles in the front of the leg as compared to the back (calf/shin). Running backwards (even for a hundred yards or a few short distances/minutes at a time) helps to strengthen the shin and the muscles to build more evenly.

I also think this could have been caused just because we are always in our bare feet in the gym and just wearing sneakers with the slight lift of the heel always causes you to use and stretch your muscles in different ways.

I would NOT recommend stopping running completely because of this especially at such a young age! I had knee surgery, and a few years after re-injured the same knee (it never seems quite perfect). However, by strengthening the muscles in and around your legs this is what heals you. My ortho told me that "some people are just not meant to run" when I went back to him. I refused to accept this because I don't think any professional athlete would be given that advice and sports is a huge part of my life! I never went back to him -- but I did gradually work my way back into running, and competed in my first ever half-marathon in 2014. Never felt better running ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back