Parents Sources for extra training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Curlyfry7

Proud Parent
Everyone here was so helpful when I was asking in reference to a gym for my boys, I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions for some problems at my daughter’s gym...my DD just turned 10, and is currently in Xcel Gold. Her gym does not do compulsories, only AAU or Xcel, then into level 6. Historically, the gym as a whole does not have good scores starting in Gold. They are not abusive at all, but do have favorites and really tend to be, IMO, lazy. And perhaps not as honest as they should be. Anyhow, we are planning a gym change at the end of the season, as it would be nearly impossible to switch and compete this season. In the meantime, is there anywhere I could look for outside help? My DD is very dedicated, and while obviously not the next Simone, lol, she works hard, listens well, and tries to make corrections. She WANTS to do better than she has been this year. We have done privates over the years, to work on various issues, and she loves privates. However, I feel like a different perspective is needed, as well as a different approach to some skills she is struggling with. (If you have been doing the exact same thing for a couple years, with minimal to no improvement, doing the same things MORE will not necessarily help)

If there is any reference for something like this that anyone could share, that would be awesome. And I am certainly happy to be a little more open about details and location via private message!! Thank you for any help you can offer...I have really appreciated CB since I have joined!!!!

It can be very sticky to do privates at one gym while competing for another. Most gyms don't allow this on either side. If you're in a state where the state meet is in March, you might be best off just waiting it out and making a clean break right after. It's probably best to take the high road out as you're leaving, and a few more months won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. Moving into a more serious environment just as most of the team is shifting from competition to training might be just the thing for her if she's sticking with XCel.

The timing issue is more complicated if she is hoping to switch to JO. Compulsory JO meets tend to be later in the spring, and I'd be a little concerned about integrating her into a JO team while everyone else is still competing.

My DD changed gyms. I will say the thing that I looked for as her father was a gym that took the sport seriously. What I mean is one that does the things necessary to help the athlete succeed. In particular, I am referring to conditioning. DD's old gym did nothing outside of some cardio and basic strength training. The strength she was developing could be contributed to trying to be successful in skills. The new gym conditions for the protection of the athletes. It is not her favorite thing but she understands why it is needed.

@John brings up a good point and leads to the advice that I was going to give. As @profmom says it can be very tricky and most likely a bad idea to do privates at another gym. But, what you could do is extra conditioning. Have her work on handstands, press handstands, flexibility and strength exercises. If you aren’t comfortable doing this yourself and/or you feel that she would not follow through just because you say so then I know in our area there are several “sports performance” gyms where they specialize in strength and targeted improvement on things like running and agility. This honestly would probably give her the best improvements and she will be better prepared for a new better program that more focuses on conditioning. Good luck!

@John brings up a good point and leads to the advice that I was going to give. As @profmom says it can be very tricky and most likely a bad idea to do privates at another gym. But, what you could do is extra conditioning. Have her work on handstands, press handstands, flexibility and strength exercises. If you aren’t comfortable doing this yourself and/or you feel that she would not follow through just because you say so then I know in our area there are several “sports performance” gyms where they specialize in strength and targeted improvement on things like running and agility. This honestly would probably give her the best improvements and she will be better prepared for a new better program that more focuses on conditioning. Good luck!

Yes, this is probably more along the lines of what I am looking for. I have worked with her in the past (I was a runner so that is something I can help her with especially) but while she is very willing overall, sometimes it gets difficult to not cross over into nagging, which I don’t want to do.

Other kids have done training outside of our gym, and while it perhaps isn’t widely known, it also is not a secret. So I am not sure if they actually care? Now finding someone on the other side might be more difficult...not too many people willing to train their competition! Lol. Our state meet is in March. While our state has a very strong gymnastics program, I don’t know how much of that is on the Xcel side, especially past Gold. My DD does want to make a move to JO, and has goals of doing college gymnastics. We have discussed that that can be a difficult goal to achieve, depending on the school, so she is realistic in her thoughts about it, at least for a 10 y/o.

I am concerned about a bad year score-wise making it harder for her to switch gyms, which is why we are trying to find ways to improve things now (and I want to stress that this is her goal with me trying to help facilitate) This kid is my “try-er”, who doesn’t give up. She had a meet yesterday morning, and when we got home from traveling, she was on our pull-up bar and on her beam working skills again. She LOVES conditioning, and takes corrections well, behaves well, and can handle straight talk. On the down side, she is not (comparatively) very strong or powerful. And her toe point could use use some work .

I am trying hard not to cross into CGM territory, but at this point frustration is high in both myself and my DD. There have been some issues that have led to me losing faith that they have the best interests of the gymnasts foremost in their minds, (we hear lots of excuses, and statements that “upper levels don’t score high”.....when we see other gyms scoring well in the upper levels, yet nothing is being done to improve things) and I want my DD to achieve her goals, and only be limited by herself, NOT by limitations in coaching. (Again being fully aware that she is not Simone, or even likely to get a scholarship. Or even necessarily compete for a D1 school).

Very appreciative of the input so far!!!!

If you can ask quietly and verbally find out where the others went. Cross-Fit May also be an option. Ideally, a sport performance gym that has experience with children would be a great place to gain strength and flexibility.

Yes, this is probably more along the lines of what I am looking for. I have worked with her in the past (I was a runner so that is something I can help her with especially) but while she is very willing overall, sometimes it gets difficult to not cross over into nagging, which I don’t want to do.

Other kids have done training outside of our gym, and while it perhaps isn’t widely known, it also is not a secret. So I am not sure if they actually care? Now finding someone on the other side might be more difficult...not too many people willing to train their competition! Lol. Our state meet is in March. While our state has a very strong gymnastics program, I don’t know how much of that is on the Xcel side, especially past Gold. My DD does want to make a move to JO, and has goals of doing college gymnastics. We have discussed that that can be a difficult goal to achieve, depending on the school, so she is realistic in her thoughts about it, at least for a 10 y/o.

I am concerned about a bad year score-wise making it harder for her to switch gyms, which is why we are trying to find ways to improve things now (and I want to stress that this is her goal with me trying to help facilitate) This kid is my “try-er”, who doesn’t give up. She had a meet yesterday morning, and when we got home from traveling, she was on our pull-up bar and on her beam working skills again. She LOVES conditioning, and takes corrections well, behaves well, and can handle straight talk. On the down side, she is not (comparatively) very strong or powerful. And her toe point could use use some work .

I am trying hard not to cross into CGM territory, but at this point frustration is high in both myself and my DD. There have been some issues that have led to me losing faith that they have the best interests of the gymnasts foremost in their minds, (we hear lots of excuses, and statements that “upper levels don’t score high”.....when we see other gyms scoring well in the upper levels, yet nothing is being done to improve things) and I want my DD to achieve her goals, and only be limited by herself, NOT by limitations in coaching. (Again being fully aware that she is not Simone, or even likely to get a scholarship. Or even necessarily compete for a D1 school).

Very appreciative of the input so far!!!!

I would imagine that a new gym would put more faith in what they observe when she works out with them than scores at previous meets.

I would imagine that a new gym would put more faith in what they observe when she works out with them than scores at previous meets.
This

And find a p,ace for her to condition for now. Leave the gym, to the new gym.

I hope so!!!

Ok, sounds like extra conditioning is what we should do. The only actual gymnastics she practices at home are mainly beam stuff...her jumps, handstands, and turns. But we can definitely incorporate more strength and flexibility work.

Thank you for the input!

Coaches here have often said handstand holds, splits and pull ups ( in addition to conditioning) are the only thing they recommend when a gymnast wants to do more at home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back