South Carolina Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My wife and I are looking for a good gym in SC. We live close to Aiken,Columbia,Charleston, and augusta. All of these are roughly 40. To 50 min drive. Were going to look at Aiken gymnastics in Aiken,SC Monday to check them out.

Any input? Wanting the best gym we can that will allow our DD to be the best she can be.

Are you moving or already there? Team or rec? If team, what level? It really depends on what you are looking for in terms of training. What type of coaching philosophy?

strange that his pic is not up on the site under staff.

He's there... Just flying low. and like I said...a donut bribe might be required ;) everybody loves randy!

yes she is 3 1/2 and has not started gymnastics yet.. We already are established in our area, so moving somewhere isnt a option:)

BTW who is Randy Parrish? Can anyone gimme some info?

Columbia

Hi-
Just a quick note there there are some great Columbia gyms too. There is Lake Murray Gymnastics and AllStars Gymnastics (both in Irmo, the western side of Columbia). Both have thriving rec programs and USAG based teams.They are not geared towards Elite (aka Olympic) training, which Aiken is. But both clubs have competitors up to level 10. The team prices are reasonable and training hours are on par with reputable gyms. I noted that you have a little one, so I would look for encouraging, knowledgeable coaches who can teach skills and keep interest by adding fun. I recommend both of these gyms. They also have after gym activities to let the girls and parents interact socially. Take a trial class, or talk to the head coaches directly. Good luck!
Amber

Hi-
Just a quick note there there are some great Columbia gyms too. There is Lake Murray Gymnastics and AllStars Gymnastics (both in Irmo, the western side of Columbia). Both have thriving rec programs and USAG based teams.They are not geared towards Elite (aka Olympic) training, which Aiken is. But both clubs have competitors up to level 10. The team prices are reasonable and training hours are on par with reputable gyms. I noted that you have a little one, so I would look for encouraging, knowledgeable coaches who can teach skills and keep interest by adding fun. I recommend both of these gyms. They also have after gym activities to let the girls and parents interact socially. Take a trial class, or talk to the head coaches directly. Good luck!
Amber

Aiken is geared towards the Elite side? Thats what we are looking for.. Aiken Gymnastics said they have a wonderful preschool program and its the closest gym so far that we actually like..

Aiken is geared towards the Elite side? Thats what we are looking for..

*sigh* I'm not familiar with this gym and therefore I do not know anything about their preschool gymnastics program. But... your child is 3. I wouldn't concern myself with elite aspirations yet. Let her discover the sport and fall in love with it first.

If they do have a great preschool program, then fantastic! Just don't get too far ahead of yourself and worry about elite gymnastics just yet. ;)

I hope that your DD loves her gymnastics class and that we see you around here for a long time to come. :)

*sigh* I'm not familiar with this gym and therefore I do not know anything about their preschool gymnastics program. But... your child is 3. I wouldn't concern myself with elite aspirations yet. Let her discover the sport and fall in love with it first.

If they do have a great preschool program, then fantastic! Just don't get too far ahead of yourself and worry about elite gymnastics just yet. ;)

I hope that your DD loves her gymnastics class and that we see you around here for a long time to come. :)

Yeah I understand that....... Heres our dilemma in a hunch:

The closest gym is Orangeburg, but apparantly they are doing signups until the fall, although they have a summer camp, but it is everyday, and I think a little too much for our 3 year old, although it does sound fun and they teach swimming lessons.

The next closest gym is Aiken Gymnastics, which is about 45 mins away.
Charleston/Summerville is around 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour
Augusta, GA is around 45 mins-1 hour
Savannah, GA is 1 hour away

Not jumping in too early. we were going to swing by Aiken this friday, but we already have dental appointments so it wont be till next friday till we can go:)

What gyms do you know about? I dont want to be the person who has to keep gym hopping if it comes down to my daughter by some miracle to be a elite gymnast, but I dont want to start her out in a gym that wont allow her to excell.... What I mean is that I want her taught that she can make it, and not have them not try and push her to be her best. I just want her to be able to do her best, and if she is a collegiate or elite level when older, then awesome! If she gets burnt out and wants to stop at age 12, then thats fine, but I dont want her to be hindered by a coach or a gym:)

You should begin at a gym with a great and fun preschool program. That is the only important thing right now. Driving hours is nuts, looking at their Elite track is nuts too. You want her to have fun, enjoy gymnastics and have kids her own own to be with in a safe, encouraging and friendly environment. You want a nice parents waiting area and in a gym where the coaches make time to talk to the parents.

When she hits five things may change, but right now fun and safety are really all I would want.

Gym hopping does not really apply to tinies and it really only applies to the folk who have hit many gyms in the team years.

I just asked my wife which gyms she is mainly looking at for her.... and actually my wife just said our 4 (will be 5 next month) boy Josh also is saying he wants to do gymnastics... so we might have two going in:)

ANyways here the gyms she is going to call and talk to...

Aiken Gymnastics (Aiken, SC)
All American Gymnastics (Savannah, GA)
Charleston Gymnastics Training Center (Charleston, SC)
Gymnastics Acedemy of Charleston (Charleston, SC)
All Star Gymnastics (Columbia, SC)

we are in no hurry of course, and a good set of choices I think.....:)

You should begin at a gym with a great and fun preschool program. That is the only important thing right now. Driving hours is nuts, looking at their Elite track is nuts too. You want her to have fun, enjoy gymnastics and have kids her own own to be with in a safe, encouraging and friendly environment. You want a nice parents waiting area and in a gym where the coaches make time to talk to the parents.

When she hits five things may change, but right now fun and safety are really all I would want.

Gym hopping does not really apply to tinies and it really only applies to the folk who have hit many gyms in the team years.

Yeah, I get that.... thats what we are looking at is how well the preschool program is ran:) but honestly the two closest gyms are still 45 mins away, and the longest drive we are looking at is 1 hour 20 mins... Thats what we get living in the backwoods I guess haha....

Thats why I made this post, to get info on the gyms I just listed... Since 5 gyms are within our driving range we want, would hope to get some info here or another forum to help us:) My wife so far has only talked to Aiken Gym, and she likes everything, but we have yet to see it in action:) Our DD has a free class next friday:)

Aiken is geared towards the Elite side? Thats what we are looking for.. Aiken Gymnastics said they have a wonderful preschool program and its the closest gym so far that we actually like..

Sorry but I meant to say that the elite side is not what we are looking for right now, but they said they have a wonderful preschool program:)

I live in a cow field too. Literally, I can see three horses and two donkeys and herd of cows from my office, so I totally get the rural thing. We drove a 90 min round trip to the gym for over ten years multiple times a week and now drive even further for cheerleading.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back