Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Spam Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
I did a little research and what domains spam users are coming from.:) After searching through the database for a couple of hours I have pretty well cleaned out most of the spam users. I have also added email filters to the board...this will not allow users to register if they are from a domain known for spam.

Keep the board active...post as much as possible.:D

Create your myBucket profile so users can get to know you better.:cool:

Introduce yourself in the Introductions forum.;)

midwestgymmom

Aug 27, 2006
midwest
Thank you for cleaning it!!! Some of the posts that you have removed in the past were:)eek:) creepy too!. I'd see a weird one then poof it's gone THANKS!

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Hopefully we can keep the garbage under control. Just PM me if you ever see one and I'll get rid of it.

R

rainmonkey03

hmmm, I am having problems with this exact thing with my forum too. I've been trying to figure out how to fix it. How do you set up the email thing?

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
hmmm, I am having problems with this exact thing with my forum too. I've been trying to figure out how to fix it. How do you set up the email thing?
I use the "user banning" option inside of the vbulletin. You can ban users, emails, partial emails, IPs, partial IPs, and more. You just have to be careful not to ban good email domains. Here is a link with some help:

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27175&highlight=banning+spam+emails

There are many other threads on that forum with great advice about this subject, also.

R

rainmonkey03

Thanks for that link. It has a lot of good information.:)

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
NoSpam!

I just install a new mod from vBulletin.org. Along with the image verification (which the bots are easily getting by), this mod will ask a user questions that they must answer correctly to register for the board.

For example:

question: 1 + 2 equals... answer: 3

Let's see if it works.:D

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
I just install a new mod from vBulletin.org. Along with the image verification (which the bots are easily getting by), this mod will ask a user questions that they must answer correctly to register for the board.

For example:

question: 1 + 2 equals... answer: 3

Let's see if it works.:D
I'll quote myself...since I install the above program we have had zero spam registrations!

R

rainmonkey03

Well now I am interested in this for my Alicia Sacramone forum. What's the URL for this?

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
R

rainmonkey03