Special needs gymnastics ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

heatherncastro

Proud Parent
Hi everyone .. I'm wondering what do gyms consider special needs ? I really think my son needs to be in a special needs class .. He's high functioning autistic but he can really get out of hand in class . His coach is good about it but I feel really bad about it when it happens . He has other issues too ( delayed motor but his OT says gym helps with that ) .
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

Reactions: sce
Our gym caters to special needs kids with a class of some kind. Don't know much about it but I observe the parents accompanying their children around the gym as they do their rotations.

He's able to not have me there .. Actually he doesn't want me there . I was just thinking that a special needs coach would know better how to deal with autistic kids . Right now he has a coach that knows exactly how to handle it but sometimes that's not the case .

Every special needs class I have seen has some degree of parent participation, although not all parents always participate. Special needs coaches likely don't have any more training than the coaches for the regular classes though. I think you might find meeting with any new coach and explaining your son's behaviors and what he needs to be more beneficial than a special needs class.

That's true .. So far it's been ok . I just feel bad because I don't want him to disrupt the entire class . Yesterday I know they had to get on him a little but they told me he did everything he was told . There have been a few times that he got real upset during class but he never wanted to leave.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back