Coaches Specific conditioning drills please. (TRA/TUM).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
OK, there's a possibility I may be roped in to coach some conditioning while DD is at practice.

It's more trampoline and tumbling kids than WAG, so I figure they aren't going to need some of the upper body stuff (for bars) and stuff like split leaps can be left off.

So. I need handstand drills particularly- they need a good handstand and need to be working towards a press handstand. Other conditioning is probably going to be aimed at core, abdominal and hip strength, for quick straight/pike and straight/tuck transitions, and jumping drills. Wrist strength? Also stuff for form like straight legs + pointed toes...

I have some vague ideas- v-ups, press ups, russian lever work? But I've been out of coaching and gymnastics a long time so no idea what's "current"

These will pretty much be beginners with only basic skills. The idea being to give strength and work on basic body shapes so the skills will come easier. They'll be under 10 so I wasn't going to worry about plyometrics or anything just yet...

Any help or ideas much appreciated. Probably only going to be 15/30 mins at a time, but the more stuff I have the more interesting I can make it. Also any games or fun stuff to encourage them!

Thank you!

ETA: we have mats, wall bars, a chin up bar. Box tops and benches I think. Not sure about stuff like medicine balls, can probably scare up some light weights (although I'm not particularly for using weights at this level/age) Also trampolines but they may be busy..

At such a young and basic level, basic gymnastics strength is fine. Some pulling work is alright to balance out the shoulder.

HS work, on the wall for time, walks, holds, press variants.

L/Straddle-L work, hollow/arch, situps, leglifts, candlestick squats, single leg squats, etc.

One of the drills I saw our TNT coach was holding a bar overhead while in releve or bouncing this way.

T&T kids? Still need arms. We lift with a shoulder push &...well, we tumble like fiends.

Hip flexors & lowest abs are often neglected.

With mine we do every handstand i can think of. Tuck/pike/straddle up, walk forward/backwards/sideways, hop, hop backwards, handstand back to wall, handstand front to wall, press headstands...and I've got a whole list of press things that my T&T kids cant do well but the artistic kids could...

A thing I like to do for straddle (NOT A STAR JUMP AAAAAAAAAH) is actually something i got from pilates. You sit a butterfly, grab your heels, stretch to a straddle balanced on your bum. THen roll back, roll up to your bum again. It doesnt work with bent knees & it doesnt work with a star jump shape & it's FUN so they dont realize they're working.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back