Split change wolf jump - beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay here's the story, My split change wolf jump is in my beam routine and has a 0.2 bonus for doing the split change. I do not always connect it and i generally wobble during or after. Basically it is a built in deduction. I ask my coach to take it out for state and just do split leap - no bonus but a whole heap less deductions. She then tells me no and that I should have been working on it this week and not gone away and I realise its stupid to go away 3 weeks from state but it is our annual family ski trip we have done since i was 3. I even asked my parents if i could stay home i'm 17 i can survive for a week. However, I can't change that now and realistically if i took the split change out i could place on beam (I placed 4th last year and i would be doing exactly the same routine with a wolf jump instead of a straight jump)

So I am working my but off with the split change - 40mins doing split changes today

Here is two video's of me doing it - 30seconds in
[video=youtube;CBHd7ob7mMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBHd7ob7mMI&list=UUXlObMLck1-ilqlqg_IC7TA&index=2&feature=plcp[/video]

and
[video=youtube;J7yRkKg2Qi4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7yRkKg2Qi4&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

So any general tips for my split change?

Now that i watch it its not as bad as I thought it was but its still a shocker!

or how to convince my coach to let me take it out (state is in 2weeks)

What is the bonus for exactly? The fact that you do a split change, or the fact that it is connected to the w jump?

Here if it was for the connection, you would only get the bonus if t was actually definitely connected and, without meaning to sound rude, I probably would count the ones in your vids as true connections.

I would work on perfecting your split change and w jump separately - work lots on a line, on a floor beam and back up to high beam, really focusing on getting more air time and more split in the split change. More time in the air will help with landings too. Once you have perfected the split change, then work in connections - perhaps just add a stretch jump onto the end of the leap first, but as soon as the wobbles creep back in, go back to no connections.

As a coach I personally take neater routines over bonuses. Not sure how you could convince your coach though?

Perhaps just pause for a little too long after the split change, but make sure you don't wobble, then do the w jump. Like I say, if the bonus is for the connection, you probably won't get it given if you do what I've just suggested, but at least you won't get the deductions for the wobble!

Okay in level 6 the core skill is 2 x “A” or higher dance elements one with 180 ̊fwd/bwd split but the bonus is “B” or higher dance skill + “A” dance skill inseries, one with fwd/bwd split, its both the connection and doing the split change i guess.

They were looking better and higher in training yesterday which is at least one positive :)

Is a split jump a B skill in your code? If it is, a nice easy connection could be split jump - tuck jump or split jump - jump 1/2 or something like that. You are getting a lot of form/height deductions on that wolf, so I'd try changing it to a tuck or 1/2 jump. The switch split leap looked better in the second video...but I personally find split jumps easier (if that's a B).

The code we work from is actually the FIG code of points so she could do a split jump but not get bonus and a tuck jump isn't an 'a' skill :(
I believe you can do a wolf hop though (I may be wrong!) which is easier coming out of the change leg as you just swing your back leg into the straight position in the wolf and jump and tuck the landing leg. I hope this makes sense!

Goodluck! I have gymnasts competing at state in 2 weeks also- I may run across you!

:p wolf hop sounds like a good idea but trouble is my take off feet and my straight leg don't allow for a wolf hop as my back leg in my split change is my bent leg in my wolf.

Luckily my split change is getting better and connection is improving unfortunately i shake on beam during comp as in literally shake like shiver kinda thing... :S and Mack believe it or not my split jumps are worse than my split change :p and heartmili - good luck to your gymnasts as well :)

The requirement for the split change is for the swing leg to be straight and above 45 degrees, you are swinging your leg near to horizontal which then makes it harder to achieve a good split position in the second split. You are also landing with your chest down, you need to keep your chest up, and your arms out to the side. If you finish with arms in front they can then only swing forward to the wolf jump without breaking your series. This video shows the sideways arms moving into the jump.
Katie Renecker beam- leaps - YouTube

The requirement for the split change is for the swing leg to be straight and above 45 degrees, you are swinging your leg near to horizontal which then makes it harder to achieve a good split position in the second split. You are also landing with your chest down, you need to keep your chest up, and your arms out to the side. If you finish with arms in front they can then only swing forward to the wolf jump without breaking your series. This video shows the sideways arms moving into the jump.
Katie Renecker beam- leaps - YouTube

This really makes a lot of sense! Its funny because now that you mention my swing leg going to horizontal it is the ones where i cut the first phase short that my split change feels better :) thank you so much.

On a positive note they were much better at training today :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back