split leaps in level 3 floor routine!^^

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
does it matter how much split the leap has in level 3? because our girls are little and we cant seem to get them to split very much and at meets most other gyms are just about or they are 180 split, but it doesnt seem to affect their score.
if they do need to be 180 or a little below, are there any drills that we can have them do? these girls are only 5 years old and they can only understand so much....^^

I'm not a US coach so can't really say, but drills wise -

1) Get them to leap over 2 skipping ropes and keep moving them apart
2) Get them to think about lifting their back leg up higher
3) lots of kicks to the front and back holding onto a beam or ballet barre, or just in the centre of the floor.

Good luck, I think leaps are pretty difficult for little ones to learn! My 5yr olds haven't even started leaps yet! We are still struggling with body tension! lol! At least here they can't compete until 8yrs old so we have plenty of time to get those skills!

i will definitely try the other 2 drills but im not sure what you mean on the first one. this is the girls' first season of competing and they are doing very well for their age^^ its just the split leaps are a hard concept for them so i need a lot of drills!!^^

Hi sorry, I realise it sounds a bit odd looking back on it!

I've drawn a picture in paint so it is really poor quality and please ignore proportions! (Imagine if you had a gymnast with long legs like that!) It's just that I found myself rambling when I tried to describe it and it is really very simple!

The idea is that it is a challenge to have the ropes moved further and further apart, thus creating something that should look like a split leap!
splitleap.jpg

haha
ok i understand now^^ we kinda have a similar drill i think.. where we are leaping in between mats. they cant touch and floor and the mats move a part little by little each turn. i think that it was you are talking about^^

haha
ok i understand now^^ we kinda have a similar drill i think.. where we are leaping in between mats. they cant touch and floor and the mats move a part little by little each turn. i think that it was you are talking about^^

yep sounds similar to me! :)

You can find this information in the compulsory text (purple book) which your gym should have a copy of if you are competing in the USAG system.

I don't coach competitive level 3, but the text for this routine seems to indicate the leap should be at least 60 degrees, so obviously a fairly small split requirement. I would extrapolate from that that the main thing to work on is straight leg entry and make sure there's no "rocking" motion (i.e. even leg lift/suspension in the skill). The deduction noted for "insufficient leg separation (less than 60*)" is 0.2. Of course there is no bonus for doing more than the requirements, as with any of the compulsory routines.

At my gym we also will practice split jumps going down a tumble track. This is also good for teaching body control.

Besides emphasizing how far they jump (mat or jump rope drill mentioned earlier), try to get them to jump high. In ballet I remember a teacher bringing out things we would have to jump over. The more air time, the more time to get those legs open. In ballet I love doing grand jetes (similar to split leap in gymnastics) because I literally feel like I'm suspended in the air when I jump. My teacher always drilled height in a jump was important. Try doing them across the floor, one leap after the other continuously trying to make the leap bigger.

practicing more split jumps might help too to learn to get the legs up :) also for the little kids in my gym i have noticed our coach tells them to jump OVER the puddle lol and if they tred in the puddle they have to do 5 jumping jacks haha :)

practicing more split jumps might help too to learn to get the legs up :) also for the little kids in my gym i have noticed our coach tells them to jump OVER the puddle lol and if they tred in the puddle they have to do 5 jumping jacks haha :)

thats a fun drill i can try. these girls have tons of energy and love to do things like this. they see it as a game and that works fine^^

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back