split leaps on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How to make them not look like a see-saw? They don't get the idea of splitting hard in the middle. Need drills and new ways to explain it.

I'm a visual learner, what helped me get the difference was to have myself videotaped, and then compared with a good leap w/ hip rise. Maybe have them wear resistance bands, and do split leaps, thus requiring them to split harder? When I was learning we had to stack up foam blocks on the beam and leap over them, but I'm not sure how effective that is.

With the pre-teamers I help out with, I have them do leaps up to panel mats. This way they are aiming "up", and don't have time to see-saw back down before they land. That in combination with the resistance bands has helped a LOT.

Most kids start their split leap by lifting the lead leg as the trailing leg pushes for height. The trailing leg must lift hard after leaving the beam while the performer holds the lead leg at horizontal. This is the way classical ballet split leaps are taught, and it really can be a career long pursuit to achieve a 180 degree split leap that appears done with ease.

An easier method is the Pineapple_Lump way. This can be disguised to look like a credible split leap, but uses mechanics very similar to a split jump. The best way to go about it is to lift the lead leg no higher than 45 degrees while the trailing leg executes a forcefull, quick push. Once the trail leg has pushed and the back foot has left the beam the performer kicks the back leg up, which creates the desired "equal and opposite reaction" that lifts the front leg to horizontal.

Both can be done, but the classical ballet method done well will appeal more to the brevet judges. Most other coaches and judges probably won't pick out the different mechanics.

Thank you for those responses. We've done them up to mats and I've tried to explain it like a split jump. We'll try resistance bands tomorrow. Iwannacoach, that was really interesting. Never thought about different ways to leap. thank you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News