Splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the best way to get your splits down? everyday, 2ce a day, i do splits and oversplits. i still dont have my splits! Now, b/c of oversplits, i am having knee pain. But any suggestions help, i can bare through the pain!

I got a request for tips on stretching. Summer is a great time to stretch because it's already really hot so you warm up faster.

First, before you stretch you have to warm up. Light jogging in place or jumping jacks normally does the trick. Personally I like wearing layers of clothes; a leotard, tights, legwarmers, sweatpants, and a jacket to speed up the warm up process.

Then I would do lunges (http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/fitness/st_lunge.html)

Stretching your hamstrings is very important (http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/fitness/st_hamstring.html)

Other hamstring stretches are touching your toes (It sounds weird but if you touch your toes in the shower it's easier and you can stretch further)

Before doing your splits I would do a few Grande Batments, or kicks.

Then try your right and left splits, hold for 30 seconds. Even If you don't go down very far make sure you have proper placement, back up, one arm on each side, legs STRAIGHT. It might also help do do this on a line so you know you body is in a straight line.

For side splits I would also recommend having a line on the floor (Like Duct Tape)

After warming up I would split as far as you can then lean to the front and put your head on the ground then try to push you hips down. I know this sound weird but it helps. I tried finding a picture but I couldn't let me know if you can't understand it and I'll try to explain it better.

Also see (http://forums.dancemedia.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5105&hilit=splits&sid=31951b6db22c0ee4fb9ec89dd84b53a5)

WARNING: A SLIGHT PAIN IS NORMAL. IF YOU FEEL A SEVERE PAIN STOP AND RELAX, IF NOT PROPERLY WARMED UP YOU COULD PULL OR TEAR A MUSCLE.

I hope this helped if not let me know and I'll try again. I am going away this coming week the 6th-10th. I may or may not be posting tomorrow so have a great week. If you have any questions e-mail me or comment I'll get back to you as soon as I can.​

to help get them down put one leg on a panel mat and if you dont have one then put a foot on the bottem of your stairs. put a foot up like your doing the splits and try ging down as far as you can, then switch. after doing this it is easier on the floor, also before stretch your leg muscles

My coach has us do splits for 2 minutes everyday and during practices we do stretches for our spilts. First we stand with our feet slightly apart and lean over to one side touching our palms to the ground while having our nose on our knee. Then we do a lundge with hands on our hips and we keep a vertical line with our front leg. Then we put the front leg straight out and put one hand on our knee or slighly below and the other on the ground for balance and then lean over. Than we stretch in a stag position so it's like your spilts but your front leg is in an L facing out.
Then we do our splits and then do the other leg. Sorry if that's confusing and if you have any questions you can message me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back