Parents Splitting up classes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scotsgirl

Proud Parent
Hi , my daughter has competed with her group for the past year and has built good friendships with the other girls . Her class has now been split by date of birth and since she is the youngest she has to stay in this class and watch the other girls move on bearing in mind these girls are well into their seventh year and some just about to hit eight . My daughter will be seven at the end of February she seems to have taken this on the chin and will continue to compete in the 6-7 age for another year. Has this happened to any of your girls ? :)

I think it sounds like a great gym. They chose to split the class in the fairest way possible. By using date of birth they will ensure that the kids all have peers the same age to develop bonds with.

Many gyms use very different methods like who is their favourites!

Thanks for the reply Aussie_coach , my daughter doesnt seem bothered by it but I do have to laugh when some of the mums of the girls who moved up and are older make it to be an issue when we are happy enough , I feel some need to remember she is a six year old girl who is none the wiser :)

Happens all the time :)

Lots of clubs have similar early groups- often called "development" or (in the US) "pre-squad". It's about gaining strength, flexibility and strong basics, and so coaches can get an idea of capability and potential. From there groups will be split- Floor and Vault, Artistic club, Artistic elite for example. If the club is big enough it's useful to keep age groups too, as routines and skills for competition are set by age.

In the UK they compete by year of birth. So yours will be in the 2008 age group.

This did take a while for me to understand haha although I am happy for her to stay in her own age group we are in Scotland , does this mean then she will compete in the 8-9 age as her birthday is the February ? :)

depends how they split for comps, as Faith says she is a "2008" so she will be grouped with other girls born between 01/01/2008- 31/12/2008. Being February born is at an advantage as mine is the end of November and competes against girls nearly a year older, but that's the system!

She will compete as a 7 year old this year, if your region competes that age group (mine only allows floor and vault, no bars and beam until the year you hit 8).

Next year she will compete as an 8 year old, which tends to be the first "official" year for competition.

Competition years run from 1st of jan- 31st Dec- so a child born on 31st december 2008 will compete as a 7 year old all this year, along with a child who turned 7 on 1st Jan 2008.

Age groups are only combined (8/9 years for example) if there aren't enough entries in each year. That is rare, especially at lower levels and age groups :). It's more likely they will be split into smaller groups.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back