DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Looks like Marta's system is now proven...what are your feelings on Marta and the US national team system?

Somebody is doing something right. I have never seen such mature, charming, physically and mentally ready gymnasts from the United States in the many years I have been watching gymnastics. Every single one of them could not have been better prepared to handle the pressures of Olympic competition from dealing with the press, good sportsmanship, mental toughness, team spirit. I can't say enough good things about how they have handled themselves. So yes, the system does seem to be working, but it seems the coaching is so much more enlightened that it used to be. I have been very impressed at how cohesive everyone is. I loved the Mag 7, but this group seems so much more mature and more developed as whole people.

I think Marta is listening to the coaches more and letting them handle the gymnasts progress more. Seeing Jenny Zhong on the floor, and not Marta, confirmed this to me. I think this is winning medals.

She's doing something right. Or maybe just backing off when should back off and stepping in when she needs to step in. I think announcing the Olympic team right after trials was a real step in the right direction.

I do think the girls' personal coaches seem a lot more involved than in the past. The girls, by and large, also seem to have extremely positive supportive coaches. Liang Chow, Jenny, heck even Geddert (as much as he sometimes irritates me) all seem to be the kinds of people I'd have no trouble entrusting with the responsibility of training my child. Compare those folks to Valeri Liukin -- and I admit, I'm not a fan -- and you can see a huge difference.

Whatever you are doing in the USA the last three Olympics are proof that it is working.

I think not having a camp selection (as Martha wanted) after trials/nationals certainly helped. The gymnasts looked much happier and healthy in London compared to previous Olympics.

absolutely! ^^^ they were actually fresh this time around.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back