WAG spondylolysis recovery and return to gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
disclaimer: not asking for medical advice but any anecdotal experience.

DD's friend has a back injury believed to be due to pars defect (spondylolysis w/o slippage) and currently in back brace. Curious if anyone has had a daughter who has recovered from similar injury and made a successful return to gymnastics? How long was your child out and how long was the rehab period?

Spondylolysis is a congenital defect, ie it is present at birth. them seeing that on the xray does not mean it is the cause of the problem as it is normally asymptomatic. They can be irritated by too much extension in the low back. i was a gymnast with a spondylo and a grade 1 slippage and I never had a problem with it at all. my point is, they should probably be looking for another cause of the pain as this is statistically unlikely to be the cause.

Spondylolysis is a congenital defect, ie it is present at birth. them seeing that on the xray does not mean it is the cause of the problem as it is normally asymptomatic. They can be irritated by too much extension in the low back. i was a gymnast with a spondylo and a grade 1 slippage and I never had a problem with it at all. my point is, they should probably be looking for another cause of the pain as this is statistically unlikely to be the cause.

Unfortunately, this is supremely incorrect. There is congenital and acquired spondylolysis.

Please refer to these numerous articles related to the prevalence of acquired spondylo and gymnasts (and other athletes). Spondylolysis/listhesis is a highly common cause of backpain in gymnasts.

Physical Therapy Corner: Spondylolisthesis and Spondylolysis in Gymnasts — The Nicholas Institute of SPorts Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Spondylolysis in the female gymnast. [Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976] - PubMed - NCBI
Spondylolysis - Gymnastics Injuries | Sports Medicine Information

Unfortunately, this is supremely incorrect. There is congenital and acquired spondylolysis.

Please refer to these numerous articles related to the prevalence of acquired spondylo and gymnasts (and other athletes). Spondylolysis/listhesis is a highly common cause of backpain in gymnasts.

Physical Therapy Corner: Spondylolisthesis and Spondylolysis in Gymnasts — The Nicholas Institute of SPorts Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Spondylolysis in the female gymnast. [Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976] - PubMed - NCBI
Spondylolysis - Gymnastics Injuries | Sports Medicine Information

thank you, tomtnt! as i have posted before, spondylolysis, commonly referred to as "kissing vertebrae" and PDS or pars defect syndrome ARE NOT congenital in as much as everyone has/experience this to some degree when they play sports.

"thesis" on the other hand is and kids should not do gymnastics, swimming, diving and football if they have this. it is very dangerous.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back