Sportsmanship

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
in a world where we here so much about bad sportsmanship in both athletes & coaches alike I wanted to share my DD's experience yesterday.

yesterday DD had her L5 state meet. She was the only one from her team in that session so she was rotating with kids she didn't know. Funny thing was in her rotation was a gym that is maybe half a mile from her gym. HC's get along well but compete of course.

Anyway she said that all the girls & coaches were so nice & that everyone was cheering for each other. She also said the other coaches kept complimenting her & congratulating her telling her what a good job she was doing. I see them watching her in the pictures & one of them clapping like crazy after her vault. Vault is usually her worst & she did what HC was the best vault DD has ever done.

It was so nice for me to hear all of this & I wanted to share, there are lots of good sports out there and I am so happy they were with DD yesrerday.

Glad to hear your DD got in a rotation with the coaches that are actually there for the kids. I've had the luxury of rotating with a few of those coaches in most of the meets I've been to. There are a few that won't even talk to other coaches unless you're part of their little inner circle.
I love meets when the kids cheer each other on. It's more apparent at the boys' meets. One of the level 10 guys I spoke to one year about cheering on his main competition at states put it perfectly when he said "We're on the same team at Regionals".
It's good to know sportsmanship is still alive.

SO good to hear about that. Part of why T&T is less stressful (as a coach or as an athlete from a small team) is that tends to be the norm, at least everywhere I've been involved.

Sounds like there are some real winners in that rotation. That's excellent.

Love hearing about gyms and girls that cheer on the other teams. Our team is very good about cheering for the other girls that we are in rotation with. Our girls shake hands with whoever is next to them on the podium and they always get really weird looks when they tell them good job and shake their hands. By the end of the season everyone starts knowing that our girls do this but sucks when you get a picture of some of the girls giving our girls dirty looks and sometimes just ignore them. Love hearing of people cheering on others.

That is awesome! Let me share about something that happened all last season. Dd was a level 5 and there was another level 5 from another gym who frequently placed/won. No matter where she was in the standing she always turned to the girls on either side of her to shake their hands and congratulate them. I think she was 9 or 10. I thought this was so classy of her! I haven't seen her yet as a level 6 LOL, but I am sure she is still doing it.

That is very sweet, especially since she was alone. My DD was always lucky to have many others in her age group, but often she has made new friends during meets too. Last year at states they (DD's age group of about 5 girls) were with another gym and by the end of the meet they all knew each other's names and cheered for each other during awards. During Thanksgiving Clinic at IGC there was one little girl in her cabin that was a L4 from another gym. We went to a big meet her gym was hosting the following weekend, and she couldn't wait to go see her "new" friend again! I was even able to meet her mom at check in! So much fun when the large world of gymnastics brings new friends young and old together!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back