MAG Spotting Deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

acam1103

Proud Parent
Anyone know how much is taken off if a coach spots a kid on a skill? Compulsory level if that makes a difference (and not one of the skills where doing it without a spot is a bonus)?

@acam1103 The spotting deduction is 1.0 plus any execution deductions.
KRC

Thank you! So is that the full value of a skill? So that outside of safety issues it wouldn’t make sense to spot a kid? My son’s coach spotted him at a meet today on something he did independently at last weeks meet and he’s grumpy about it (he’s 8 and it got in his head because he wasn’t expecting it and he then proceeded to let it mess up his entire routine). Obviously my answer to him is to talk to coach but I’m curious for my own knowledge.

@acam1103 Yes it would be equivalent to leaving out the skill. I can think of a few instances (L6 back uprise on Rings) where if the athlete can't make complete the skill, he can't finish the routine. Here a coach would have to spot the skill otherwise the athlete would be stuck. Incidental brushes or taps are not supposed to be deducted, but it's at the discretion of the judge. Mostly, as long as the athlete is not "carried" through the skill the max will be 1.0.

KRC

Reactions: sce
If a spotter appears on Floor or Pommel/Mushroom, it’s a 0.5 point deduction (without any contact with the gymnast). If there is an active spot (on any event), then you loose an additional 1.0 point. If the judge determines that the gymnast could not have completed the skill on his own, the skill won’t be recognized, another -1.0. All execution deductions apply as well.
So, a coach who grabs & flips a gymnast in their Floor BHS skill would have a -0.5 + -1.0 + -1.0 = -2.5 from the final score, before any other deductions come into play (ie, flexed feet, bent knees, angle & hold deductions, and extras hops/steps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back