Coaches Spotting Double Fly Away

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Warning: Question not for the feint of heart.

That said... I have a connundrum... At our state meet, my best bar girl pulled in on her double. You can all fill in the blank from there.

I reviewed the video over and over... and the best I could do is exactly what I did - I kept her from falling on her head/neck on the floor after hitting the bar. I got her flat on her back with support on her head and neck.

I wont go into why it came up, but I am curious - is there more I could have done? I don't see how I could have done anything differently...

Yes, she is ok. She walked away by herself.

This is very difficult for me to ask... I learn from my mistakes, but I don't like feeling that I did not do all that could be done. What more is there to do?

I'd have to see the video to be sure (and I'm not sure if I want to see it), but it sounds like you did everything you could. It's not like you can reach high enough to catch her before she hits the bar.

As much as it sucks and as painful as it is for us as coaches, sometimes there simply isn't much you can do.

No point in beating yourself up over it after the fact.

I agree with Geoffrey. From what you said, it sounds like you did everything you could. You can only reach so high, and it was good that you prevented the gymnast from landing on her head or neck.

There is only so much a coach can do in certain situations. Like Geoffrey said, don't beat yourself up over it.

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the feedback. Im working on being a magical coach that fixes all problems... when I figure it out, Ill share my secret willingly!

Ryan

You had a split second to catch her. You obviously did the very best job you could have in the situation, and it sounds like you got her to a relatively safe landing. Unfortunately (or fortunately!) we don't get to practice catches like these very often so you think as fast as you can and do your best. The goal of catches like these isn't a perfect feet-first landing; it's to move the kid to the safest position and landing possible given the short time you have to make the movement. That's exactly what you did.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back