Parents Spotting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
Just curious - what is your gym's stance on this? To spot or not to spot? Or perhaps limited spotting? And what's your feeling? My dd's old gym had a pretty strict no spotting policy. They'd do so many drills in order to build up to a skill and if the coach thought a child was ready to perform it, then they were ready and the coach would not spot. In very limited circumstances, fears and perhaps moving to high beam, they might spot one or two to build confidence. Her new gym is much more chill and I can see that my dd is less anxious. She hasn't needed a spot yet, but has relaxed knowing she has the option. It's fascinating to see the impact. I didn't have an opinion before - just accepted the gym policy - but I think I really like this approach. I get the sense it's not endless spotting, but as necessary in their judgement.

I have no idea if the gym has an official spotting policy. What I have observed in my very few hours watching is that I definitely see lots of spotting/shaping on bars. I’ve never seen spotting on beam, but don’t know that it’s not allowed. I rarely see spotting on floor in optionals, but see it a lot more in compulsories, especially at the lower levels. I’ve seen lots of BHS being spotted when kids are first learning them. I have seen spotting on vault, but I seem to see the least vault, so I have no idea how regular or not spotting is. It also seems to be more common at the lower levels, especially when first learning the FHS vault.

I would have a major problem with no spotting on bars. You even see the elites getting spotted at major meets. Anyone can peel off or miss a release skill at any time. Even on the other events - there is a big difference from doing drills to doing the actual skill independently. My kid can do a back handspring on the trampoline just fine, but he's not going to attempt it on the floor for the first time without a spot. No way. Same with bigger skills like double backs. I've seen them spotted when kids are transitioning from the pit to the floor - as they should be. No spotting at all is a weird and dangerous policy to me. I'm glad you're at a new gym that has a different policy now.

Definitely hands-on spotting/shaping. Daily on bars and vault, and tumbling once a week when the bars/vault coach does floor. He is actually pretty amazing to watch (especially on bars). Good spotting is like an art form!!

Beam and floor not as much spotting (different coach), but have definitely seen a little (BHS on beam and standing back tuck on floor come to mind).

We definitely allow spotting. However, there are some coaches that are not allowed to spot (they either have medical reasons not to spot OR they have not been certified to spot yet (yes, our coaches have to be TRAINED to spot different skills and have to pass a hands-on test to be allowed to spot a skill).
It only stinks when YG is with a coach that can't spot the skills she is doing ... so she is basically on her own until Jr. High team is over and she can get HER coach back full-time.

DD's gym spots and shapes on bars every day. The other events are a spot for upgrades or fear issues.
That's a good clarification. Yes, they did shaping, but not really spotting. For instance, lots of flyaway drills but actually doing it is all about the build up, learning the release, and then it's go time.

Wow, I find this policy really weird. Every gym we've been at has had lots of spotting. The more high performing the gym, the more spotting, in our experience. That way they can focus on their technique rather than not landing on their heads :)

Thankfully my daughter's gym spots! She's needed it a lot as she has come back from a long break from skills and impact. I do think some of the optional coaches spot less than others.

Sitting at gym watching, this thread made me think. DD's group is on bars spotting and shaping every turn, budding one skill on another till the routine has been completely shaped and spotted. Then coach climbs off the block and each gymnast does her best to preform her routine, coach never steps far away he goes from between bars to high bar for dismount. Kids have side stations of giant on pit bar and upgrade skill on another bar set with a second coach.

My daughter's gym always spots for bars.

For floor and beam it depends on the coach. Some coaches are extremely hands on and teach their girls by moving them through the skills. While other coaches use a range of drills leading up to a girl doing a skill mostly independently.

My observation has been that on average, the girls who just launch into doing spotted skills learn them faster than the girls who don't, with no extra form issues. But obviously different girls learn different ways, the larger a girl the harder she is to spot and some coaches are physically more able to do it than others so I have no preference for which style of coach my daughter ends up working with.

I think our gym would fall into the minimal spotting category.

Beam- I’ve actually never seen beam spotted beyond the teeny girls at our gym. (I’ve also never seen them use mat stacks on high beams. They learn skills first on floor, then on low with mats, then low without mats, then medium no mats, then high no mats.)

Floor- Not much spotting here either beyond early compulsory. They will “bump” girls while tumbling sometimes but that’s pretty much it.

Vault- Same thing- they will “bump” girls who are flipping vaults. (And for the younger girls they do stand there and have to occasionally assist in their getting safely over).

Bars- agree with everyone else...it’s very hands on with a lot of shaping and also some spotting.

I find the no spotting policy odd. My dd gym certainly does lots of drills and don’t spot loads but do when it’s needed. They don’t really spot on beam except for dismounts but I guess the other skills have all been learnt on a floor line where they would spot if necessary. Bars they spot and shape lots. Floor they spot on new tumbles as needed.

Just curious - what is your gym's stance on this? To spot or not to spot? Or perhaps limited spotting? And what's your feeling? My dd's old gym had a pretty strict no spotting policy. They'd do so many drills in order to build up to a skill and if the coach thought a child was ready to perform it, then they were ready and the coach would not spot. In very limited circumstances, fears and perhaps moving to high beam, they might spot one or two to build confidence. Her new gym is much more chill and I can see that my dd is less anxious. She hasn't needed a spot yet, but has relaxed knowing she has the option. It's fascinating to see the impact. I didn't have an opinion before - just accepted the gym policy - but I think I really like this approach. I get the sense it's not endless spotting, but as necessary in their judgement.

What level(s)? Or all levels?

Bars, nearly always, even if it’s just being there.

Beam. Not really, skills go from floor, to floor beam, then higher, then high with mats, to less mats, to no mats.

Floor and vault mostly shapes and such during drills. After that not really. The occasional help over the table.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back