Sprained ankle...for 7 weeks!!!!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RICE RICE RICE!!! (REST ICE COMPRESSION ELEVATION). make sure to do lots of excercises, only when your ankle is ready, like spelling the abcs with your ankle. google sprained ankle excercises and you'll get ton.

i had a project on it earlier this year so i saw some.
here is a good picture with lots of excercises:

http://goortho.net/img/plantar_flexion.gif

try toe rises too! good luck and tell us how it goes!

You MUST follow your doctor's advice!!! My DD struggled with this injury for 4 MONTHS before getting a referral for some physical therapy! If she had just taken the time off when it happened, she may have had a better and more successful season!

7 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things, and if you don't allow it to properly heal, this injury WILL continue to plague you!

Oh boy, i just went through this in feb and march. yup it sucks but I agree with Tumblequeensmom. Make sure you STAY OFF OF IT. Use those crutches for as long as you need to, and like eeyoretumbles said, do RICE. The three main things to remember is to rest it as much as possible, Ice it lots...especially after school, and Elevate it!

It will heal faster if you stay off of it as much as possible at first. If you try walking on it and using it too soon it will just make things worse, so be patient.

Make sure you don't do any rehabilition exercises until the swelling, bruising, and pain go down and make sure you get the go ahead from the doctor first! That is really important cause you definitely don't want to injure it any more than it already is.

Good luck, be positive, and just try to enjoy your time off.
Oh and when you do get back to the gym make sure you tape your ankle to train (this might be obvious). I taped my ankle for the next few months, until the end of my season in the beginning of May, to prevent further sprains...which is common after a sprain.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/members/eeyoretumbles.htmlhttp://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/members/eeyoretumbles.html

Oh boy, i just went through this in feb and march. yup it sucks but I agree with Tumblequeensmom. Make sure you STAY OFF OF IT. Use those crutches for as long as you need to, and like eeyoretumbles said, do RICE. The three main things to remember is to rest it as much as possible, Ice it lots...especially after school, and Elevate it!

It will heal faster if you stay off of it as much as possible at first. If you try walking on it and using it too soon it will just make things worse, so be patient.

Make sure you don't do any rehabilition exercises until the swelling, bruising, and pain go down and make sure you get the go ahead from the doctor first! That is really important cause you definitely don't want to injure it any more than it already is.

Good luck, be positive, and just try to enjoy your time off.
Oh and when you do get back to the gym make sure you tape your ankle to train (this might be obvious). I taped my ankle for the next few months, until the end of my season in the beginning of May, to prevent further sprains...which is common after a sprain.

I agree with all that has been posted. i know gymnasts think in a week they can go back it doesn't hurt that much but in reality if you take time off now for a few weeks you can go back stronger and more focused without pain.

Depending on how bad the sprain is it could take 6 months to properly heal. Talk to your doctor about this and follow his instructions. I'm surprised however you don't have physical therapy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back