MAG spring goal to learn giant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Byrd_USA

Coach
Proud Parent
With States this weekend and regionals in a couple weeks we are looking to set a new goal to train for. Since he will move up to level 6 USAG, Giants and back tuck are the skills to target.
With the help of some private lessons to supplement his 4 days a week training,
how long should it take to get these lvl 6 skills?
Hoping to set a timeline of July when he will be attending a couple skills camps.
Other skills like kip , endo, have come fairly early for him.
To short? To much?
Worried that because he excels either I'm pushing to hard or not giving him the tools to stay on top. Last summer he was on vacation 6 weeks and still dominated this season..

it says under your name that you are a coach. if you are a coach, then you know the question can't be answered. there are no crystal balls.

and you took a 6 week vacation.

and "worried" is what you do for the sick and dying.

it says under your name that you are a coach. if you are a coach, then you know the question can't be answered. there are no crystal balls.

and you took a 6 week vacation.

and "worried" is what you do for the sick and dying.[/QUOTE

Wow...you having a good day?
I guess my question should have been if I'm pushing to hard setting new goals this early..Mentioned the vacation so you might understand that I do believe in rest and recovery.
It's always harder to teach your own kid.

I would say to have some ideas of what comes next in the progression, but since you are coach and parent, you have to be careful. I would ask him what his goals are, and work towards those. Trying to guess when giants will come, or when a kiddo will get a back tuck is hard, and needs the "crystal ball". But working on progressions on those and doing the conditioning is great.

Giants are not required at level 6. There is a ton of stuff to work out for level 6...moy, pbar kips, uprises on rings/ps, etc. There are a lot more goals that just giants and back tucks. But if you keep doing the progressions, I am sure he will get there.

Yep, at least for DS, the uprise on rings and the moy are harder than the giants. But it is SO individual! L6 has a lot of exciting challenges that he'll be thrilled to master.

1st,everyone assumes that since I coach that I teach higher levels. while I'm a Master instructor in TKD , and have taught MMA, football, basketball to high school level my coaching experience in gymnastics is beginners/kid level. Yes I talk with Team Coaches and parents. Saw some lvl 6-7 kids compete this fall R5 that still couldn't do giants or PB kips....
He has most moy, pbar kips, uprises on rings/ps , endos, flairs down. Could have been moved up last summer ( State Champ AA). Thought it was better to get solid basics and stay with a strong team chemistry.

Just wondering in other schools what the average giant progression time was. Sounds like with us , varies greatly kid to kid...
Thanks for the input.

I am in a similar place as you. Ds did well in level 5, is excited to go to regionals next month and is setting his sites on moving to level 6. I would let him set his goals with his coaches. Ask if there are skills that it would be helpful to have some privates to work on, but let the two of them figure out the best overall plan.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back