Stages of a Gym Mom - **For Entertainment Purposes Only**

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This was posted a few years ago and originally geared towards Cheer Moms, but I editted it to reflect Gym Moms. Please read with a grain of salt ;).

First season: first season gymmie is clueless, and mom is clueless. It's all fun and games. The novelty comes from wearing a leo at a young age and getting to wear intricate web-style hair styles and pretty scrunchies. Mom has no clue about the sport, has no concept of what scores are, what skill elements are required, what routines should look like, and is pretty oblivious to other gyms in the area because she chose the one right down the street from her house. The focus is not on winning at all.....all concern is placed on her own gymmie and whether or not she will make it through the routine without running off the floor crying or having to go pee pee.

Second season: gymmie has gained some skills, and mom is starting to learn a little. Mom understands a little about levels and is so tickled that her gymmie has learned some new skills. However, all gymmie’s friends are learning some skills too and the worry sets in about her gymmie keeping up, or falling behind. Mom also starts to notice that other gyms in the area might have teams that are good and starts to question whether or not this gym is the BEST gym around. She now knows gymmie will make it through a routine, and starts to crave winning.

Third season: PEAK PSYCHO YEAR: gymmie has gained more skills, and mom is excited but still nervous because some of gymmie’s friends have gained more skills and possibly “tested out of levels” or put into the “fast track” stream. Mom gets hard on gymmie, putting pressure on her to "get better" and work harder in the gym and even train more at home. Mom is starting to understand judges score sheets, now knows how to look up meet sessions and meet results like a pro, stalk Youtube and message forums to see what her gymmie is up against. She is full fledged into having her gymmie be a winning gymnast! Now the mom knows all the weaknesses of her gymmie’s gym, and will take every opportunity to point out those weaknesses!! Talk about changing gyms is rampant, unless gymmie’s gym has a winning record and her gymmie shines a little brighter than her teammates. Even if it does there will still be issues mom needs to complain about and the thoughts about whether the grass is greener at the other gyms sometimes wins out and they move. Complaints about other kids, coaches, methods, other parents, etc is at their peak!!!

Fourth season: Mom is still psycho, but gymmie is progressing even more and that is enough to keep mom happy, especially if there was a gym change. Mom is into full fledged gym mania!! She wants that win bad!!! Relationships with other gym moms have developed, even moms from other gyms. She may still be putting tons of pressure on gymmie to fix this and that, get this and that etc.

Fifth season: Mom still has hidden anxiety but has stopped telling everyone about it. She has met some other 3rd season psycho moms and realize how insanely idiotic they act. She has come to terms with her own gymmie’s level and has started taking away the pressures, but still quietly encourages improvement. She enjoys some quiet conversation with other 4+ year gym moms. She fully understands by now what it takes to win, and has accepted that kids develop in different stages. She also understands now that kids will have strengths and weaknesses, including her own gymmie, and they can all contribute to a team beautifully.

Sixth season: Mom has settled nicely into a happy group of other veteran moms and laughs out loud at the 3rd season moms. She still wants the win bad, but she realizes now that winning is not everything. She has found a peace with her gymmie, and gives her the tools she needs to succeed, but no longer pushes so hard. This peace continues through the rest of gymmie’s gym career.

***Now, keep in mind that if gym switches are frequent, and gym mania is very high, mom can progress through these season stages in a matter of months.

love it!!!

Hey where did the "Like" button go? I don't see it

Ah, now that dd is a level 6 and has 3+ years of competing under her belt (I hesitate to call the early competitions really competing, but it was there) I can read this and laugh at us. I don't think it took me full years to progress through those levels, but yep, I have been through them all, except maybe the high pressure on dd. We tried so hard to not put pressure on her, but from only an inside perspective it is hard to tell how it really came across and if we succeeded or failed miserably. Hmm, might have to ask dd. I love this!

***Now, keep in mind that if gym switches are frequent, and gym mania is very high, mom can progress through these season stages in a matter of months.

(or get stuck at stage 3 and never ever move past it)

Excellent post, by the way

(or get stuck at stage 3 and never ever move past it)

Excellent post, by the way

Yes--definitely!!!! That would also be known as "the black hole" stage because often gymnasts and their moms will "dissappear" and seem to drop off the face of the earth. In reality, they have quit the sport (probably due to frustration) and moved on to something else.

... and of course parents in the "mania" stage don't recognize themselves at all!!!

Not true, I am fully aware of my own gym mania. I think I do a really good job of keeping it to myself though. :)
Luckily, the other moms of girls on my dd's team are all at about the same stage of mania, so we ooh and ahh together over neat new things like the Tumble Tally app.
One nice thing about my thirst-for-gym-knowledge mania is that I discovered the Chalk Bucket!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back