Parents Standardized tests when homeschooling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom41

Proud Parent
I'm hoping to do a standardized test just to see where my DD is. Reassure myself our curriculum and number of hours is good? I've seen Iowa, Stanford, TerraNova. Anyone have any experience or advice?

We did the CAT testing online.
Curious what you thought of this - we have homeschooled and done standardized testing almost every year, but I was thinking of trying an online version and CAT was one of the ones I was considering.

Curious what you thought of this - we have homeschooled and done standardized testing almost every year, but I was thinking of trying an online version and CAT was one of the ones I was considering.

It was fine. It didn't take too long, which was important to me. We did it for 3rd grade as a requirement due to homeschooling also. I was looking to meet the requirement as simply as possible.

You can do CAT testing online at http://www.academicexcellence.com/achievement-tests/, and get the results immediately via email. We used the paper terranova this year (which is basically CAT too, right?).

ETA: with CAT testing you test the grade they will be in next year.

Do you do this even if you test at the start of the year? I had meant to test my kids in the fall like they do in our public schools; but I didn't get it done. This year I will be doing spring and I'm trying to decide between CAT and ITBS. How does it work to test for a grade ahead, doesn't that throw things a bit?

Do you do this even if you test at the start of the year? I had meant to test my kids in the fall like they do in our public schools; but I didn't get it done. This year I will be doing spring and I'm trying to decide between CAT and ITBS. How does it work to test for a grade ahead, doesn't that throw things a bit?

I believe at the beginning of the year you would test the grade they are beginning.

We've done the Terra nova from Seton several times. They have a tool to their Web page to help you get the right test. Norm populations are different depending on when you test. They spell it out in the test description.
The complete test had given us a really good idea of strengths and weaknesses and progress.

I started with the ITBS years ago, and so just stuck with it. Really any standard test should give you what you are looking for.

I used a paper CAT from Seton Testing a while back. It's really eye opening to watch your child take it and see up close how the percentiles work. For instance, I could see the mistakes my kid was making simply from not paying attention to whether the math problem was + or -. Then, I think in the science section, one wrong question put you into the 65th percentile or something like that. Crazy to see!

We homeschool independent of the gym. We have gymnastics in the evening along with everyone else and do our schoolwork whenever we want during the day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back