WAG Standing Back Tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For reference I'm a high school gymnast now but I train with a club and have for a long time. Our high school requirements are the JO level 8 special requirements plus 0.3 in bonus. At this level is it a significant problem not being able to do a standing back tuck? Out of a round off I have a back tuck, layout, and a front tuck into a round off back tuck and I'm working twisting into the pit. On Beam I have cartwheel round off series as well as a front handspring on the low beam and working suicides. I've done front beam dismounts and am now doing round off back tuck dismounts into pit and they are pretty easy so I will probably compete that. I don't see a reason I need the standing back tuck but what do you think? (I've tried it and can't do it and I've hit my head so many times going off of things that I refuse to try it again)

I personally do not like doing standing tucks off of things or into a pit because I go straight up and hit my head. I don't think it is a skill that you HAVE to have however it may be beneficial. I would continue working on them and you may eventually get it and if not it should be fine.

Imo standing back tucks aren't necessary until at least level 9 or 10 (when they can be used on beam).

On floor, they are useful as a landing drill and a conditioning drill, but are not necessary as a skill in and of themselves.

Imo standing back tucks aren't necessary until at least level 9 or 10 (when they can be used on beam).

My daughter and some of her teammates did a standing back tuck on beam in L8, but some did a front walkover instead, or just left it out if they weren’t solid. The girls without it scored comparably to those with (if they all stayed on).

On floor, they are useful as a landing drill and a conditioning drill, but are not necessary as a skill in and of themselves.
Our high-school gymnastics is level 8-9,so I have team mates with back tucks on Beam or training them. I figure having the front suicide would be fine to replace it since they r both C acro. I've also started working front handspring round off as a beam series. Do judges care that my only back acro on Beam is a backwards shoulder roll and possibly a round off tuck dismount?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back