Parents Standing back tucks...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meganliz77

Proud Parent
It's been awhile since I've posted... Our season wrapped up in February :)
I haven't been at my DD practices and only knew what new skills she was working on if she shared them with me. She started the season as a Level 3, but following states was moved to level 4. She competed 4 meets as a level 4.

Yesterday I made it to about an hour of her 3 hr practice and got to watch some of the "new" and exciting stuff they've been working on.

Right now, the big ones are back handspring on beam, ROBHS-BT, and standing back tuck.

Wow-- the standing back tuck appeared to be kicking her butt-- constantly landing on her butt or shins. Her ROBHS-BT is looking great but the standing tuck, not so much. I heard the coach mention to her that she wasn't getting her toes up fast enough.

I am a little worried because coach has told the girls that she wants them to have the SBT by the beginning of summer.

Is this skill a hard one (in general) for kiddos to catch on to? Is it reasonable to expect her to get it within the next month or two? When will she need this particular skill? She's a relatively quick learner, but gets frustrated when a skill isn't perfect right away-- she will work, work, work until she gets it (determined little bugger).

I know all of this is pretty subjective but wondering about others thoughts and experiences!!

I have a little one who's group is working these skills, and haven't seen a huge emphasis on getting the standing back tuck. Our L9's do a standing back tuck on beam...but that's about all I can think of.... Just a note, when they do work them, they do them off panels at first, then slowly work their way to the floor. Can she do them off a panel?

I think that's how she is working them right now-- off a panel. 3/4 of the time she is on her butt/legs...lol...she only gets it sometimes...

They don't "need" a standing back tuck for quite some time, but it sounds like your DD's coach wants it sooner rather than later. At DD's gym, coach has all level 8s compete standing back tuck on beam.

What level will she be next year? It will come! They all start the way yours is.

I'm guessing she will stay a 4 until states, then will move ahead to 5, hopefully score out and *possibly* move to 6 for the remainder of the season. A couple girls did that this year. Coach is good about cautiously pushing her forward, but not too fast, she's only 7 right now, so she has (hopefully) lots of time!

I think standing back tuck is a skill in the TOPs 8YO testing so if the coach is mirroring those skills in training, it may be because of that.

Standing back tuck is not a hard skill technically. Mount it does take a certain leg amount of leg strength. Kids who lack the strength and explosive power will struggle.

I personally think it is a very important skill. Even if they are not required to use it to compete.

Standing back tuck is not a hard skill technically. Mount it does take a certain leg amount of leg strength. Kids who lack the strength and explosive power will struggle.

I personally think it is a very important skill. Even if they are not required to use it to compete.

Well she doesn't lack in leg strength... She's very strong-- especially in the legs. But I think it's just putting it all together that's been tough. if you ask her she doesn't have any issue with the skill-- lol... I'm not too concerned yet as they just started working on it probably 2 weeks ago, but it was definitely hard to watch her fall all the time. I just didn't know if it was realistic she'd have it in the next month or so...

Thanks for the feedback--- always new things for this rookie mom to ask about in this sport!

I would say it's most likely that she's throwing her head back which would cut some of her height out of the skill. It is a skill required for 8 yo tops, I believe. She might not throw her head back as much in the robhsbt which would explain why she's not struggling with this. As Quad sd, she'll get there, no worries!!

The standing back tuck has been difficult for my DD. It's taken about a year for her to get it consistently, even now it comes and goes. However, they don't actively work them, just 5 tries during warm up.

and once they get it they spend hours doing them on the beach, etc to show off - or at least all three of mine do - but my DD is quite a tomboy with 2 brothers. When they start doing the standing front tuck they really think they are cool!!

Its a nice skill to get early if able - obviously can't compete it on beam until L8 at least - but a confident SBT is a strength and form thing - helps with prepping for flipping vaults and double back dismounts too. Have to be tight and in control of a SBT - but a ROBHSBT not so much...

I would say it's most likely that she's throwing her head back which would cut some of her height out of the skill. It is a skill required for 8 yo tops, I believe. She might not throw her head back as much in the robhsbt which would explain why she's not struggling with this. As Quad sd, she'll get there, no worries!!

I think you're right on about this-- throwing her head back! I heard the coach also say something about this! I'm sure she will get it soon enough! In the meantime, il probably just go back to not watching ;) lol...

It's strength and technique. In addition to the leg strength, it requires ab strength to tuck quickly and powerfully and speed the rotation. The technique part is not tucking too early and not throwing the head back.

I would assume the coaches require it almost more as a drill than a skill that they'll use in the near future. It really works the abs and legs and I think it teaches proper salto technique. From a RO, BHS they have enough momentum to do a low, whippy tuck. To do it standing, they do have to set, then tuck quickly.

She'll get it. It doesn't take that long. If she has the strength, she just needs to figure out the technique. If she needs to build strength, all the attempts will do that. My ds was about 8 when it was introduced. One day he said his abs were more sore than he'd ever experienced and he thought he had an injury. I called the coach to tell him ds wouldn't be at practice because of this mysterious ab injury. His coach started snickering. He said he'd seen that before. They started working standing back tucks and the kids are having so much fun flipping, they keep repeating it not realizing they're doing ab strength work.

and once they get it they spend hours doing them on the beach, etc to show off - or at least all three of mine do - but my DD is quite a tomboy with 2 brothers. When they start doing the standing front tuck they really think they are cool!!

Hey, you didn't happen to vacation at Hilton Head last year did you? :) We were there sometime last winter and my dd was on the deserted beach doing handstands and round offs. Then a family came out on the sand with 2 boys and a girl and they all started doing back tucks and handsprings. My dd was amazed! My ds (who can't do a cartwheel or handstand to save his life, but was trying anyway) was doubly amazed to see 2 boys doing it. It was very cool. :)

not us - but they did that in Hawaii a year ago....the older boy in particular is a very reserved kid so I think he gets an extra kick out of throwing skills in public!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back