Off Topic Star Wars (spoilers)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was going to start a thread but glad you did!

Ugh. I didn’t hate it but only because I am satisfied with the conclusion. And so is my family. But, too much humor and why on earth are those storm troopers such bad shots?

The 5 year old who saw A New Hope in the theater in 1977 as my first PG movie got a big kick out of it; the adult who prizes some sort of good (and inventive) storytelling and internal consistency thought it blew.

The one good part was that final interaction between Poe and whatsherface, the full conversation conducted in slight nods.

Otherwise, the movie was terrible. They had the biggest twist in the entire sequel trilogy (Palpatine's still alive), and they gave it away in the first sentence of the opening crawl. Whoever thought the Rey/Kylo kiss was a good idea needs to never be allowed to write for movies again. The plot somehow managed to be entirely predictable and still completely incoherent. Hux was the only character who got any development -- and was killed less than a minute later. The Rose/Finn thing was completely abandoned. Etc, etc, etc

Since you've now implicitly authorized spoilers ;)

Along with your list of bad ideas, I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to have a final installment called The Rise of Skywalker and then have all the Skywalkers killed and the Palpatine line win the day?

Also, retconning Rey being a nobody and de-democratizing the Force? The concept of democraticizing the Force was the most interesting thing in the final trilogy, and Abrams just crapped all over it.

In general, I enjoyed it. But I also liked the prequels, which most people my age (entering 50's) didn't. I like that all the ends were tied up. I got bored with some parts and the kiss was beyond stupid (should have been a sibling type relationship). I hated the light saber battle on the water where they made Rey sound like really loud tennis player while Kylo was stone silent. I like the message that family history does not dictate your future. You can choose to rise above. I do wish they included the jedi ghosts at the end, but I understand most would have called that redundant to ROTJ and too sappy.

What did Finn have to tell Rey? its like a running joke the whole movie then nothing????? the action was fun the plot mediocre at best

I just assumed he was going to tell her who her parents really were? It seemed like Leia told him??

It seemed like Leia told him??

I must have missed that? though I missed the first 5 minutes getting snacks for my kids :mad:. I dont know I got the vibe it was the big L word or something but then she was vibing with "Ben" it just seemed at times like they couldnt figure out if they wanted any romantic entanglements or not so they hinted at buches of them but never committed to any of them which got a bit confusing at times.

Being old enough to have seen all but A New Hope in theaters I found it enjoyable. The energy in the theater helped with the enjoyment as all the kids and parents got into the spectacle that is space wizards with laser swords. I don't think the kids got why their parents were so into all the "old people" in the movie, even though the kids have seen all the other movies (except episode 1, that is banned in our household). Avengers End Game had a similar problem in that it is really hard to payoff the years and multiple movies of build up, you have already seen an "ultimate weapon" and the biggest of bad guys, so it's almost impossible to make a threat more threatening than has already been put out there without it being too over the top or unbelievable, so they tried to throw in some twists or other plot devices to help make things interesting.

Being old enough to have seen all but A New Hope in theaters I found it enjoyable. The energy in the theater helped with the enjoyment as all the kids and parents got into the spectacle that is space wizards with laser swords. I don't think the kids got why their parents were so into all the "old people" in the movie, even though the kids have seen all the other movies (except episode 1, that is banned in our household). Avengers End Game had a similar problem in that it is really hard to payoff the years and multiple movies of build up, you have already seen an "ultimate weapon" and the biggest of bad guys, so it's almost impossible to make a threat more threatening than has already been put out there without it being too over the top or unbelievable, so they tried to throw in some twists or other plot devices to help make things interesting.
Can I ask why Episode 1 is banned in your house?

I must have missed that? though I missed the first 5 minutes getting snacks for my kids :mad:. I dont know I got the vibe it was the big L word or something but then she was vibing with "Ben" it just seemed at times like they couldnt figure out if they wanted any romantic entanglements or not so they hinted at buches of them but never committed to any of them which got a bit confusing at times.

I seem to remember a part when he said to Rey “Leia knew and she still taught you anyway.” Or something like that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back