Starting cheerleading

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Im am just starting cheerleading after doing gymnastics for 8 years.
its fun, however, i can not for the life of me tumble with shoes on. I am the only tumbler on the team and i am suppose to do a whole bunch of stuff, but its so different with shoes on that everything looks horrible. i can't bring shoes to my gym, and my cheerleading shoes haven't even come in yet, they wont until the day before the first game.
What should i do?

That was my position a few years ago. I'm now an ex-cheerleader(Igot dropped,it took me out of gymnastics for 2 months, and I don't want to go through that again. Honestly, I did wear shoes at the gym-open gym. Seriously, you just have to get used to it. It's awkward and uncomfortable and frustrating, but it just takes time. About shoes-is there someone you could borrow cheer shoes from, just to practice with?

just to practice in, you could also wear light athletic shoes. Just the plain kind. I don't really know about that, it wasnt a problem for me. At tumbling i tumbled w/o shoes, and at cheer i tumbled in shoes. If you can't wear shoes in the gym, try wearing tumbling shoes or light ankle weights.

if you know the brand name of the sneakers, i suggest you buy yourself an extra pair to practice in. i had to go through the same thing. but the fact you can't wear shoes in your gym is a little hard. you just need to keep on pacticing in your spare time. i promise if you practice all you tricks will seem like your not wearing shoes again.

there are cheer shoes that are really light and are made especially for stunting and tumbling.You can order them online. Nfinity shoes are only 6.8 ounces. The most important thing is getting ones that are light and flexible. Also if you are going to fly, get the finger notches on the bottom.

If you have access to a tramp or tumbletrak start there with shoes on... then move to the floor. Wear them every chance you get and you will get used to them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back