Parents State meet stress

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have one gym in our area with a homeschooling program and I know of only two 7 year olds competing level 3 at state. Both were in the homeschooling program and practice over 30 hours per week. They had an A grouping for level 3 7 year olds, so I'm sure there were a handful, but definitely not the norm.

Um.....huh?!! Do you know this to be fact? Because I honestly don't believe a level 3 would be doing over 30 hours a week.

I just thank goodness these these low levels didn't exist when my DD was young. She did old 4/new 3 at 7 years old and was young, but it was not completely abnormal to be 7 and in L4 here.

Um.....huh?!! Do you know this to be fact? Because I honestly don't believe a level 3 would be doing over 30 hours a week.

I just thank goodness these these low levels didn't exist when my DD was young. She did old 4/new 3 at 7 years old and was young, but it was not completely abnormal to be 7 and in L4 here.

I promise it's true. I am a little hesitant to name the gym outright, but I'll bet that guy who knows all of the gyms has heard of it (dunno?). One of the little girls was at my daughter's school and dropped out after kindergarten to do the homeschooling program (the girls are in first grade now). She was only at level one, but competed a few level two meets this season and finished as a level 3. The hilarious thing is that it's not like the homeschooling gym is cranking out elite level gymnasts left and right. Maybe a few level 10s.

Just to clarify, the kids don't HAVE to homeschool at the homeschooling gym, but they only push ahead the girls who are in the homeschooling program. The non homeschooling team is sort of a chaotic mess, as there are way too many kids on it and not enough coaches. We have quite a few on our current team who left the "homeschooling" gym from their non homeschooling team.

have a glass of wine and sit back and enjoy your daughter's experience. remember, it's her experience.

and hope she remembers the routine. they forget even at level 10 and elite. :)

oops...a reply to an older thread. sorry about that.

We have one gym in our area with a homeschooling program and I know of only two 7 year olds competing level 3 at state. Both were in the homeschooling program and practice over 30 hours per week.

:confused: :eek:

That's crazy! My level 6 gymmie only does 16 hours a week. I tell you what, if the gym had told me she would need to be there 30 hours a week when she she started at level 3, I would have said we need to find her a different sport.

This stuff is supposed to be FUN, not a full time job.

Our elites only do 35 a week, and they're all a fair bit older than 7.

:confused: :eek:

That's crazy! My level 6 gymmie only does 16 hours a week. I tell you what, if the gym had told me she would need to be there 30 hours a week when she she started at level 3, I would have said we need to find her a different sport.

This stuff is supposed to be FUN, not a full time job.

Our elites only do 35 a week, and they're all a fair bit older than 7.

From what I understand, the little girl I mentioned above is in a total gymnastics bubble over there, which is kind of sad at her age. I will say that she won the state meet in her age division for level 3 with a 38+ AA score, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's at level 6 by next spring. But at what cost? I would think she will be sick of it by 9 or 10.

Do you think the 30 hours also includes the time they spent doing ing? Our level 3s if in TOPS 12-13hrs a week at gym...so another 15 or so of school would be in that realm. Of course most of ours don't homeschool so they do more hours a day than that at school.

Do you think the 30 hours also includes the time they spent doing ing? Our level 3s if in TOPS 12-13hrs a week at gym...so another 15 or so of school would be in that realm. Of course most of ours don't homeschool so they do more hours a day than that at school.

Good question and good point. My understanding was that the school part was in the morning from about 8-12 and the afternoon/early evening was all training and some weekend training. I think it really does come out to about 30 hours of training/week, but maybe the person who told me 30+ hours didn't realize schooling was included in those hours?? All I know for sure is that they practice a heck of a lot of hours for level 2 and 3, so they darned well ought to be winning every meet they attend with that schedule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back