WAG Staying on the beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

happychaos

Proud Parent
So, we all know the extreme measures girls do to NOT fall off the beam. Arms waving wildly, body turning sideways, bending in half leg clutching.....that kind of stuff. After sitting through a level 4 meet, I saw lots of beam cartwheels, but the same question would apply to many beam skills. What is the deduction for this stuff, and does it usually end up about the same as the girls who just gracefully hop off?

Say a girl does a reasonably executed skill, finishes the skill, but just ends up off balance at the end. Like a walkover or cartwheel- it looks good, both feet finish on the beam, but gymnast is off balance. Is it always better to stay ON the beam, even if *extreme measures* are taken? What about the gymnast who waves wildly and still falls off? Does she get more deductions than the girl who just hops off with no wild gyrations?

It has always been better to stay on than to fall off. It is .50 off for a fall plus the execution of what made them fall. You don't take the balance errors leading to a fall.

Optionals don't get Connective bonus or difficulty bonus if they fall.

That being said, there is a new deduction of up to .20 for extra movements to maintain balance. We'll see how that effects things.

In addition to staying on to avoid losing a few more tenths, the kids who do everything they can, seem to learn more quickly how to finish their skills correctly......, well sort of. I'm using the word finish in the context of moving directly to a stand, lunge, or yippee I made it posture as they finish the nuts and bolts part of the skill.

You can see kids who work to get in that position before resorting to the grand body wave and air swim. You can also see other kids that start correcting their balance as soon, if not before, their first foot hits the beam of on the plie' following a jumping skill that lands on two feet. The thing is, many of the resulting wild corrections are what makes them fall off when a skill is just slightly "off." It's best to train to finish the skill in the posture the beam coach pleads and begs for.

Really, is it easier to balance when your head is nearly between your knees and your arms are extended straight? If you answered no, then you're ready to coach beam...... I guess that means all those who answered yes are ready to be gymnasts.

Not an expert but there is also the issue of negative impact on their attitude after a fall. At least for my DD.. And she does fall sometimes, seems like she has a few more deductions after a fall that she probably wouldn't if she would stay on the beam..

It all depends on the extent of the arm waving and the time taken to regain balance. I was always taught that it's better to take the 2-3 seconds or unsightly wobbles than to fall off. I think it's a bigger deduction to fall off the beam (or fall on the beam, e.g putting hands down in a handstand or something), than to wave your arms. It's also harder for girls (especially younger ones) to regain confidence after a fall and that could reflect on the rest of their routine and other routines.

I was always told to fight like the devil to stay on the beam. My coach would scream at us and give us extra conditioning if we fell off the beam during a meet so it was worth it to do anything we could to stay on.

and of course everywhere but the US a fall is a whole mark off. You really need to fight to avoid that if possible! I tell my kids to finish, fight and keep fighting til their bum hits the floor. Because one day that fight will keep them on!

So, we all know the extreme measures girls do to NOT fall off the beam. Arms waving wildly, body turning sideways, bending in half leg clutching.....that kind of stuff. After sitting through a level 4 meet, I saw lots of beam cartwheels, but the same question would apply to many beam skills. What is the deduction for this stuff, and does it usually end up about the same as the girls who just gracefully hop off?

Say a girl does a reasonably executed skill, finishes the skill, but just ends up off balance at the end. Like a walkover or cartwheel- it looks good, both feet finish on the beam, but gymnast is off balance. Is it always better to stay ON the beam, even if *extreme measures* are taken? What about the gymnast who waves wildly and still falls off? Does she get more deductions than the girl who just hops off with no wild gyrations?
This is a yes and no type answer. Normally, when you're on the beam, common sense tells you to do everything in your power not to fall. However, especially for optionals, a bobble/wild thrashing of the arms is not only .3-.6 tenths, but a lost connection in most occasions, which is tenths off start value. However, it sounds like you're referring to younger levels, so that is not a hurdle that's approached you (yet). Touching the beam, prolonged thrashing etc can lead to just as much of a deduction as a fall, which is to be kept in mind. But 99.9% of the time my advice would be to do anything In your power to stay on (; Best of luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back