Parents Sticker Shock

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, we just had to pay for the competition leo for this season and they were a whooping $185.00!

Yes, you heard me right. One hundred and eighty five dollars. lol *cry*

They are the same brand, style and cut as last season. Just different color. Last season they were $80.00. I guess the extra hundred is due to inflation, haha!

Okay, I know it's not funny but if I don't laugh I think I'd cry. And during these hard times I don't understand the huge price hike. Not to mention our girls are required to buy two leos, a summer exhibition leo and the comp. leo. Thank goodness they decided to keep the same warm-ups from last year!

(sorry to unload on you all. I know you all can understand)

The first meet is in Nov. and Pixie is excited for her first season competing L5.
She's picked up so many new skills.

Floor:
robh-bt
fhs-ft (though, I haven't seen it)

Bar:
fly-away (haven't seen it either)

Beam:
bwo (haven't seen it either, lol)

I don't stay at the gym during practice so I have missed all these great skills. She says she's a big girl now and doesn't need me there and honestly, I feel okay leaving her there. I'm very over protective (due to family trauma), with all my kids, so this is hard for me to let them go and spread their wings. But, I think I was hindering her growth and I really don't want that so I'm letting my little girl grow up.

Besides, I'll get to see her stuff at the meets :D

Have a great season all!! ~hugs

Last edited:
For that much money, that comp leo better do a ROBHSBT by itself....and stick the landing.

Jaw drop on the suit price!!! Ours is $80 and that is PLENTY!

YOu are like me, I don't stay either, it is fun to see all the new skills at the meets. Plus she does gymnastics, not me. SOunds like Pixie had a great summer.

Welcome to the club!!!! Do you have to buy a new comp leo every year? At dd's gym we buy a new comp leo every year and it's always to the tune of about $175-$200.... I pay it and then do my best to try and forget about it! ;)

I feel your pain. My DD's Competiton Leotard (long sleeve) is $190. And I will probably be purchasing a new one for the Spring Meet season. And they are not even wearing them for this fall season - tank leo !! At least that is only $40 !!

DD outgrew her leo and they are using the same leo this year as planned (2 year cycles). I wish she'd have gotten a bigger one last year so it could have lasted her 2 years. When I first laid eyes on it, I didn't think it would last for 2 years, but I hoped. And I was hoping DD would suck it up and wear it this year tight :)

Ours were $300 this year and they didn't look any different to me except for the color...and that's JUST for the leo, no warm up included (that's another 200)

Ours were nearly $200 as well. Thank goodness we are using the same one as last year and I was able to find a used one for $100.

Sounds like Pixie is doing great! Can't wait to see her compete Level 5. She is going to rock!

They must have chosen the "expensive" color this time. For $185, I'd want full bar and floor routines that score in the 9s.
We're waiting to hear how much we get soaked for new warm ups.

That is crazy! Especially since it is the same leo, just different color? I would be asking questions! Maybe there is more bling?? Doesn't make any sense.

That said, nice to see you! I am sure Pixie is going to just rock L5. She has such beautiful form and her gym obviously works all the little details!!

competition leo

We just paid $45 for a competion leo but only because our booster club defrayed the cost from $150. They were to be free to the parents but the leos cost $150 instead of the anticipated $100.

I think that parents should ask lots of questions regarding the fees they are required to pay. I would demand to see an invoice for the actual cost of the leos and question why two leos are necessary and why the old one cannot be used anymore.

I think our club uses our leos for at least two years, though we do have two or three comp leos, at least the optionals do. Moreover, we have two people appointed to re-sell on consignment old leos which have been outgrown so that some girls can buy them at half price. They don't look any different.

Most of our funding comes from a meet our booster club puts on. We don't try to make money on selling leos. But for some, the business model entails making money from selling leos, gym bags etc at a markup. It's a racket.

Julio Garcia,
Jamy's dad.

I agree Tuduri, I know we pay what the gym pays. Our club has used the same leos for 4 years now and the coaches work hard to make sure hand me downs are avaiable to help those who might struggle with the full cost. We get 50% of the cost back when we return the leos in great condition.

These prices are nuts, it's not like you get a bonus for the prettiest leo.

We'd have a rebellion on our hands if prices like these were mentioned in our gym.

Heck, I'd ask why they're so much more expensive! Ours are more than $100, but can't remember the exact cost (I try to block it out LOL!). We buy every 2 yrs--this is our off year.

Booster clubs shouldn't be marking up leos because they are typically non profit organizations. The gyms, on the other hand, usually do make a profit on the leos. However, the competition leos cost a lot at wholesale so the gyms can't really get the same kind of markup they do on the items in the proshop. It is not unusual for a GK custom leo with shiny fabric and some bling to wholesale at $150-$200 so the gyms charging $180-$225 are just getting a modest profit. Not to mention GK charges the gym for shipping too.

It is kind of a scam when there is a new leo and warm up every season though, IMO. It just seems abusive to require a new warm up every year.

I would ask to see their cost, too. I guess we are lucky because our owner/hc is VERY thrifty. The L4's wear a sleeveless, and it's only $35, which is their cost when they order them in one large lot. I think she did this because of so many kids that never continue on and drop out of gym after level 4. now the level 5/6 and optionals leos are pricey, $185 and $215 respectively, but they are long sleeve and blinged out to the max. But, they've kept the same design for awhile,( let the boosters decided) and the girls are able to sell/purchase their used/outgrown ones. We had a girl move and leave our gym, and we bought all of her stuff: level 4 and 5 comp leos, hair scrunchies, plus 3 team workout leos, warm ups, gym shorts, etc. for about $200 total. Her stuff was like brand new, and really tiny so it fit my dd perfect.
i love bargains!!:D

Our comp leo's were $250 w/bag. Not sure on how much the warmups are, they are on their way in!!! We do a two year cycle on the leos but of course this is their last year on them, so next year we get new ones. Hubby about went into cardiac arrest when I told him the price!!!:eek:

Our leos are $135, but we are using the same ones as last year. So, if the gymmie is still in the same size you are off the hook. Same goes with warmup and bag. But the warmup wasn't so bad, as I remember it was under $100 last year.

Sticker shock came when we were told the coaching fees for the year!!

I want to see pics of these 2 and 3 hundred dollar leos! Seriously post them if you have them. Ours were like $130 and are very nice pretty design/stones and from GK I just don't get how they could be 2-3 hundred, do they have 20 billion stones or something?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back