Parents Still working out fast vs slow twitch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Taurus

Proud Parent
so dd & DS had mile races at school this week- dd tells me she was behind until last two laps- DS plays soccer & when he runs, it's sometimes so fast that he "jackalopes" in the air - sorta like a split leap bc his legs are moving so quick - does this indicate her being more "slow-twitch" & him being more fast-twitch??

Hard to use that comparison to answer your question as one is in essence doing a sprint and the other a longer distance. She sounds like a wise runner, pacing herself and speeding up as the race progresses.

In your examples your dd is using his fast twitch muscles and your dd he always witch but with only these examples it's hard to say if one kid is stronger in one area vs the other.

Thank you SCE- I have read as much as I could on past posts- my guess was that b/c she wasnt particularly fast at the get-go (and I think she is too young to understand what it means to "pace yourself) so that meant "slow twitch" but bc he could burst speed when necessary, that meant he was fast twitch

Thank you SCE- I have read as much as I could on past posts- my guess was that b/c she wasnt particularly fast at the get-go (and I think she is too young to understand what it means to "pace yourself) so that meant "slow twitch" but bc he could burst speed when necessary, that meant he was fast twitch
Quite possible.

My DD really does not like running at all, but she is the fastest in the 3rd grade at her school...

I don't know if she's fast twitch or slow twitch, but I know her desire to win outweighs it all!!! (To a detriment at times ) LOL

But, I've wondered about her also after learning of the muscle types, where she fits in. She is an extremely tight gymnast, poses and such... It's very different from some of her teammates, and I wondered if that was influenced by her muscle type as well?!

I really don't know how to tell the difference in most gymmies. I can tell the difference in the extremes, really fast twitch and really slow twitch, but in most cases, it's hard to tell, especially when they are really new to gymnastics. My dd is an extreme, fast twitch ectomorph.... If you blink when she tumbles, you miss it. Muscles upon muscles, not just fit and not in a cute way. Her guns are larger than mine. Harlem pants fit like leggings. Flexibility is a constant struggle. Lots of amplitude in leaps, but struggles to get 180 (except in straddle). Lots of times she has too much power and not enough control. Literally steps into a robhs full so she has more control of the landing. Best bud, extreme slow twitch, long and lean, legs for days. You can see every shape of her exceptional form in tumbling. Lots of control, not much power. She really has to get a good punch for her double. Takes longer to 'get' higher skills, but when she does, they are flawless and I've never seen her lose a skill. Other best bud, small and petite! Amazing extension, beautiful lines, hyper leaps! Just gorgeous! Tumbles well. Couldn't tell you slow or fast twitch, but absolutely amazing when she hits. Her issue.....focus. She's the type of gymnast that a coach would get overly frustrated with. Absolutely capable physically, but maybe not ready mentally and emotionally. Beautiful nonetheless!!! If we could mold the three together......

I would recommend putting this on the regular wag forum so coaches can see it. They will explain it much better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back