straddle jump ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

I posted this on the judges forum but thought I'd put it here, too.

How high must the straddle jump be in the beginning of the Level 6 floor routine? What's the deduction if it isn't as high as it should be......and how do they get it higher?? :confused:

It's good that you're addressing the straddle jump now. Most kids do not seem to have the same issue (or anything to do with floor) but there are always a few who do. My daughter is one of them.

When mine was at L6, her straddle jumps were adequate. Consequently, she scored pretty well most of the time. But, when she moved up to L7, the same (or slightly better) jump (done in a series) didn't cut the mustard anymore. Floor was the one event that she consistently scored low on and the straddle jump was a huge part of the deduction.

I believe it has to be to 150 degrees, which is pretty wide, but I don't know what the deduction is for not hitting that. I would think lots of practice on tramp would help, together with plyo drills - anything that helps with the pop they need to get the height and time to straddle wide enough. My dd struggles with this skill too as she is not a natural jumper.

Yes, the split has to be a minimum of 150 degrees. There is a deduction of up to .2 for insufficient split. In addition, there is a deduction of up to .2 for insufficient amplitude. The athlete's hips have to rise...it's rather subjective, but the jump should look dynamic. In addition, there are general deductions that can be applied, like knee bend, flexed feet, chest down/forward, etc.

I posted this on the judges forum but thought I'd put it here, too.

How high must the straddle jump be in the beginning of the Level 6 floor routine? What's the deduction if it isn't as high as it should be......and how do they get it higher?? :confused:

To improve, perhaps your dd can try the ankle weights, & straddle jump on the tramp or the bouncy tumble track (I still have no idea what this is called haha). Also the stretchy bands on the gym floor work really well. Maybe her coach would let her do them before practice...

Well, dd's hc actually had them working on these on Saturday. I don't get the chance to watch her practice very often so I guess they do work on them. I think I now know what they're supposed to look like! :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back