WAG Straddle or straight cast/giants?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
What do you do? What do you think looks better? What do you like? I used to do everything straight but my coach switched me to straddle giants and casts...

interesting that you were doing straight casts and your coach is switching you to straddle. It seems for DD that straddle is much easier....she just got her straddle cast to handstand but has a long way to go to do it straight up.

Search -straddle cast or straight body cast on Chalk Bucket, I started that thread in April & received some great answers. My daughter has always Straddle cast & her gym decided everyone had to change to straight body. It was very frustrating for her.

If you are normal-sized straddle casts are much easier. A straight cast is technically simpler, though, so for short ones and little kids it may work better. You don't need to straddle your giant unless you are in danger of hitting the low bar.

I noticed that it's easier to lose your cast when you straddle up (girls that don't quite get their feet together at the top will lose the cast). I definitely prefer straight body casts!

We teach both...the sooner they can get to handstand the better. All of our kids that can straight body cast to handstand can also straddle cast to handstand decently. Not the other way around though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back