DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am having a lot of trouble learning a straddle press handstand. We don't work on them at all at gym, but I am trying to teach myself, meaning I can't get a spot or anything.
Here's what I can already do:
I can easily do a straddle press headstand.
I can do a press handstand against a wall fairly easily (I am talking about standing ones by the way, not from sitting.)
I can do a press handstand on the floor if I bend my knees and jump first.
I can do one without jumping if my feet are on a raised surface.
I can do a handstand and then press out of it.

That is about all I can do by myself. When I try to do one, I can't get my feet off the ground at all and feel like I am about to fall over. I am leaning forward as far as I can. I have heard that you are supposed to have your hips over your hands, but I cannot for the life of me get them there. Any tips? Oh, and I was also wondering if it is easier to do one from a narrower or wider straddle? Please help!

practice them with your stomach facing the wall. that way you can use your feet a bit if you need to 'cheat' some.:)

practice them with your stomach facing the wall. that way you can use your feet a bit if you need to 'cheat' some.:)

I don't really see how that will help. I can't even get my feet off the ground...
Oh, wait, when you do it on the wall with your back to the wall, are your hands supposed to be right up next to the wall? Because I can do it with my hands about 5 inches away, but not right next to it.

When you are doing it from standing, are you leaning forward enough at the start? When the wall is there it's not sop scary because you have to lean forward to get your shoulders, then back, to the wall, but when the wall isn't there it's harder.

Try this link:
mspt47.com Gymnastics Hints & Tips - Press Handstands

Now if you look at the image at the top, you see how the girl is "leaning"? Her arms are at like, IDK, a 30 degree angle or so? This puts her weight on her arms. It takes a LOT of strength and balance. Once your weight is there you can lift your legs because your weight won't be on your legs anymore. Then I guess you have to straighten as you lift otherwise you'll fall forward?

(I might be off base, just speaking of what I've heard/seen)

Hm... okay. I think part of the reason they are so hard is that it really hurts my wrists to lean so far over. Have any drills that will help wrist strength/flexibility?

I'm no expert on this topic...but try going into front support and then take your shoulders forwards in front of your wrists.

Hm... okay. I think part of the reason they are so hard is that it really hurts my wrists to lean so far over. Have any drills that will help wrist strength/flexibility?

Try turning ypur hands out just a little. You'll end up having to put a little more pressure on youir thumb, index fingers, and middle fingers, but they're the strongest fingers you have, so it should work fine.

you probably already know this, but a press handstand takes a LOT of strength. In your spare time just work on straddle holds, like 3 sets of 20 seconds holding both L holds (a pike) and straddle holds. :eek:Stuff like that. I found this video SUPER helpful when learning mine! it gives you exercises and pointers that really help.

Teaching the Press to Handstand - YouTube

good luck!

and trust me, it takes a lot of time. work hard though and it should only take 1 to 2 months to get it down :)
You can do it!!!!!

Ok, i didn't read everyone's answers, but I need to give my opinion here:

I can do it, although I never did any drills for it.
I just tried it from times to times and practiced a lot handstands and handstand press down.

My press had a totally poor form: bent arms, bent legs; but I managed to get that a little better now...

Just think of it as leaning shoulders forward and pulling your buttocks up, keeping the legs as close to the trunk as possible (hips bent, like a straddle stretch).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back