Coaches straight arms/arm pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

I am looking for advice on how to help my daughter deal with arm & elbow pain. During her bars rotation (she's a Level 4, 6-yrs old) they are working alot on the proper positioning on the bar ~ straight arms, thighs against the bars while maintaining the hollow body. She has great form, tight legs, pointed toes, and she keeps her body above the bar to where they mark her legs but she just cannot seem to straighten her arms. My guess is she needs to work on her triceps more? Any good exercises you can recommend. Unfortunately, I've contacted her coach but haven't heard back from her yet. Maybe I can get a quicker response here! TIA! :)

I have seen a few (very very few) kids that physically cannot straighten their arms. It's rare, but it does happen. As far as how to address it, it would probably be best to consult a doctor. I don't know if this is the case here, but see if she can straighten her arms under normal condiditons.

I have seen a few (very very few) kids that physically cannot straighten their arms. It's rare, but it does happen. As far as how to address it, it would probably be best to consult a doctor. I don't know if this is the case here, but see if she can straighten her arms under normal condiditons.
Geoffrey ~ she has straight arms on every other event but this one. Her arms are straight when doing handstands and even doing other tricks on the bars. It's just that type of hold that gives her fits. Her coach said she thinks it's a strength thing and that as she grows she'll get it. So, only time will tell. I think we'll give it a few more weeks and if it doesn't improve, to the doctor she'll go.

Thanks!

Try having her practice holding push up hold (with straight arms) at home. Push up hold is one that I like to do with my girls to strengthen their shoulders/arms, stomaches, and backs--it really is an all body exercise. The action of pushing down on the floor and having to hold yourself up is somewhat similar to having to push down on the bar.

Try holding it for 15-20 seconds to start, and if she can do that (with proper form) then increase it to 30 seconds and so on. You want to make it a challenge for her, maybe mom (or sibling or dad) can do it with her.

Try having her practice holding push up hold (with straight arms) at home. Push up hold is one that I like to do with my girls to strengthen their shoulders/arms, stomaches, and backs--it really is an all body exercise. The action of pushing down on the floor and having to hold yourself up is somewhat similar to having to push down on the bar.

Try holding it for 15-20 seconds to start, and if she can do that (with proper form) then increase it to 30 seconds and so on. You want to make it a challenge for her, maybe mom (or sibling or dad) can do it with her.

Thanks for the tip!! :)

You're very welcome--I hope it'll help! In the title you also mentioned arm pain--does it hurt when she straigthens, or trys to straighten, her arms on bars?

Yes, I think it hurts in the back of her arms. I'm sure it's probably just her growing muscles trying to get used to it. She just turned 6 and may just take some adjustment. I just saw her at the gym and the were working with her on the floor. I think she may be a little moody/emotional for some reason. She kept on crying. Who knows.

The pain could be growing pains also, but I'm not one to make that call (if you know what I mean). Everyone has their emotional/moody days, especially us girls; I'm sure she'll be alright. Please keep us updatd on her progress.

She has a doctor appointment in a few weeks. We'll see what he has to say. She's getting her tonsils out next week ~ that may be weighing heavily on her mind. Who knows. We had a talk with her last night. She's a perfectionist, very hard on herself and wants nothing more than to please everyone. I was kind of upset with the coach yesterday, though because she said something about her moving back down to developmental. IMHO, I think that would be counter-productive. But, I'm just a parent, what do I know?

Hopefully the report from the doctor will be a good one. Having your tonsils out is never a fun thing. As a perfectionist myself, I can somewhat relate to what's going on.

As far as her straightening her arms on bars: encourage her to tell you little changes that she worked on during practice, as a way of helping her reliaze that she's working on perfecting the skill. Also, remind her of the age-old saying "practice makes perfect." A friend of mine used to say, "Perfect practice makes perfect," but either way practice was incorporated with making things perfect.

Netty:

My dd had her tonsils out back at the end of Feb., and she had to be out of the gym for two weeks after, and even when she went back to the gym, she tired easily and had a hard time regaining her strength. Her coach kept telling us that it's much easier to lose your strength than to regain it which is very true. Just wanted you and your dd to be prepared. It can be very frustrating!:eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back