WAG Straight-Leg Scorpion (AKA Needle)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have my scorpion on both legs, but my coach wants me to get my straight-leg scorps (Needles) on both legs. This requires alot of back and leg flexibility (I have my hypersplits), and because I need the skill for flying (cheer) and beam, balance is important too. Any advice?
0620122136.jpguntitled.png (Top/left: Me, Bottom/right: Goal)

A needle is going to require that you increase your flexibility in; your shoulders so you can reach back further for your leg.....the muscles that are between your ribs in your rib cage......as well as the other areas you would normally expect when trying to get a needle.

For balance......try a modified needle with only one hand grasping your knee instead of your foot. This will leave you a "free" hand that you can use for ordinary activities that can be done while stationary. A simple example woud be to brush your teeth while performing the mod needle. The constant movement and changes as you get all the angles neccessary for proper brushing will challenge you to keep your balance. Find a few other things you can do with your free hand while in the needle and the balance problems will solve themselves........

Thanks, that is a drill I haven't seen yet! I tried it and I think it works pretty well for the stability aspect of a needle. And i have improved alot, really quickly!!!
scorp.jpg

Search Gabi Butler on youtube or facebook. She has tons of stretching exercises and videos and they work. She is an allstar cheerleader and is crazy flexible.

Nothing to add except, you look beautiful doing the scorpion. And although the straight leg scorpion is more impressive, I think the bent leg is prettier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back