Parents straight legs, pointed toes- form help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
The end of the competition season and my gymnasts are uptraining to L3. But one thing I noticed last season is that the coach never really worked on basic form on making sure the gymnasts legs are straight at certain points or toes pointed and probably other form things too that I don't see. So, what kinds of exercises or classes do you recommend that a gymnast do or take over the summer to really help catch up on the basic form. When I say basic stuff... I'm talking pointing toes in a handstand. Really making sure legs are straight in leg lifts and leaps. Not big moves, but training your body to remember these things now is important in my opinion. Even now the coach doesn't remind them and doesn't physically hold them and correct their legs or what not. If they're going to move up a level, they need these basics and my gymnasts really want to move up.
Are there moves they can do at home? Or maybe they take ballet this summer? What have you done for your gymnasts that don't have great basic form yet?

ps> I should say if they move up, they'll be with a different coach who appears to be very well rounded with teaching skills and form.

My dd is also going to be training Level 3 this summer and I feel exactly the same way. Like I could have written the post!! In my head I am like "point your toes, straighten your legs" etc. I don't say it out loud to her but it is so hard not to lol. I also feel like coach corrects only some of the time. Maybe once they are level 3 they will focus a bit more on form?? My dd needs the reminders or she reverts back almost immediately ugh [emoji58]

Hopefully your new coach will emphasize that. In my daughter's case she had a coach who really emphasized it and constantly corrected when necessary.

Glad to hear I'm not alone Chars mom! I feel like now is the time to really instill those muscle memory things.

Lucky you GymDad! I can see in your picture, you're daughter's nice form!

Glad to hear I'm not alone Chars mom! I feel like now is the time to really instill those muscle memory things.

Lucky you GymDad! I can see in your picture, you're daughter's nice form!
Thanks....funny thing my daughter told me just the other day how much she wants to keep legs straight and toes pointed in the gym just to show her old compulsory coach that the lessons learned are still being practiced as she moves on to Optionals.

Let the coach take care of it as she moves up.

That's what I did all year, but it was not addressed and she may not move up if her form is not better. So I'm trying to see what to do this summer to help her outside of the gym- hence, either exercises or ballet or something?

That's what I did all year, but it was not addressed and she may not move up if her form is not better. So I'm trying to see what to do this summer to help her outside of the gym- hence, either exercises or ballet or something?
How do you know she may not move up do to form?

It's typically skill related.

I've heard this type of question before and remember a response that made sense. Someone replied that they may be focusing on something else and pointing out the toes or knees at that time takes their focus off what the coach is really working at that moment. Just let the coach decide where they want their focus to be. Do you have confidence overall in your gym? If so, trust they know when to work what.

You could always also ask the coach if there are things they can suggest for your child to do at home.

Exactly what gymbeam said. They are so busy learning basic things.

If I were to guess because it is just a guess as I don't know the op's gym.

The L3 coach focuses on it because that's the level they start focusing on it.

I can't imagine a gym holding a kid back who can do a solid handstand because she is not pointing her toes.

How do you know she may not move up do to form?

It's typically skill related.

There are a few who moved up and those are the ones with great form. Everyone else, even with next level skills, have been held back thus far. Although I know it's very early in the summer training season. But I just wanted to help my children outside of the gym with form. Whether they move on or not, it's not a bad thing in my opinion to do a dance class or have form work outside of the gym.

I've heard this type of question before and remember a response that made sense. Someone replied that they may be focusing on something else and pointing out the toes or knees at that time takes their focus off what the coach is really working at that moment. Just let the coach decide where they want their focus to be. Do you have confidence overall in your gym? If so, trust they know when to work what.

You could always also ask the coach if there are things they can suggest for your child to do at home.

Thank you... That reply does make a lot of sense.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back