Straight Line Handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kewin700

Gymnast
Hi!

could anyone help me figure out what is causing my handstand not to be straight?

everyone talks about the banana handstand, but my handstand is almost straight. In the image below you can see my issue

thanks

It's not bad, when I hear of a banana handstand we usually see way more arch in the lower back.

The main issue it the chest shape, you need to aim for a more hollow chest position, rounding the upperback, almost like someone is pushing your sternum in. If you can correct that your pelvis will naturally tuck under more and it will be easier to extend your shoulder position fully.

It's not bad, when I hear of a banana handstand we usually see way more arch in the lower back.

The main issue it the chest shape, you need to aim for a more hollow chest position, rounding the upperback, almost like someone is pushing your sternum in. If you can correct that your pelvis will naturally tuck under more and it will be easier to extend your shoulder position fully.
Thanks. I don’t quite get what you mean by a hollow chest position. Is there a cue other than ‘someone pushing my sternum in’. I can’t really picture or feel it the way you’re explaining.

Thanks. I don’t quite get what you mean by a hollow chest position. Is there a cue other than ‘someone pushing my sternum in’. I can’t really picture or feel it the way you’re explaining.

Try to round your upper-back.

Part of it is also shoulder extension; if you can get your shoulders to open a bit more, you'll have an easier time getting the rest of the body to strqighten.

But honestly, this handstand looks pretty good. If I were a judge and saw a handstand like this in a routine, I'd deduct a tenth at absolute most, and maybe not even that

Try to round your upper-back.

Part of it is also shoulder extension; if you can get your shoulders to open a bit more, you'll have an easier time getting the rest of the body to strqighten.

But honestly, this handstand looks pretty good. If I were a judge and saw a handstand like this in a routine, I'd deduct a tenth at absolute most, and maybe not even that
Thank you so much! I was trying to figure it out how to do it and I finally got it down. My handstand looks super straight now! Although I have to get used to it so muscle memory can kick in to balance it for longer. Just gotta do a lot of mind body connection work against the wall and freestanding and I’ll be back to my old time in no time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back