Parents Strange hair question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OrangeArt

Proud Parent
If the girl's have a back extension in their floor routine, what's the best hair style to go for? I was going to do a simple bun, but then realized that might not work out well, for obvious reasons.

I'd really like a bun to work, because I'm not that skilled with braiding (at least not the cornrow/french braid type of braid). Maybe if the bun is high? Or low?

Please give me some ideas to try out in practices before meet day is here :)

Hi! I empathize with you, as while I can braid, my DD hates it... And her hair is quite long. :)

You could try 'pineapple-ing' her hair into a side pony/pigtails or do a side bun. DD has had both done and thought they were ok. Or.. I don't know what it's called, but you do multiple ponytails down her head, adding in more hair with each ponytail... I did that for DD once, but did two so there was nothing directly in the middle - DD can't stand anything in the middle of her head due to the exact reason you mention.

How old is your DD? How long/thick is her hair? Some of my favorite hairstyles on the tiny kids are high, off center, curled ponytails/pigtails. That said, my DD would have never permitted that, no matter the age (she's a bit stubborn/feisty).

Do you use Pinterest? I find a lot of hair ideas on there.

A high bun works. Sort of at the top back corner of the head, furthest away from the chin(?) It doesn't have to be right on top of the head.
It needs a hairnet to survive, get a mesh one (ebay), they don't stretch and can handle being rolled over. The ballet ones don't last long.
It also has to be fairly tight, not a flat ballet style bun, at least that's what I've found. Net, pins, scrunchie over the pins. It doesn't work without the scrunchie.

This works for my kid for training (she's not old enough to compete yet). Has survived plenty of backward rolls but might get a bit loose if they do heaps and heaps. I'm confident it would be fine for a competition routine with no problems whatsoever. She doesn't mind rolling over it. It does force her to remember to tuck her head properly or it is annoying.

I do a side bun for both my girls. My OD has very long hair, so I have to braid it before bunning it :D. So I do side ponytail first, braid it second and knot it into bun third. Tried it without braiding once and didn't go well. It doesn't look great in my opinion, but it serves its purpose. Our gym requires buns, so I haven't tried different hairstyles.
My YD has thinner nad not-so-long hair, so just side ponytail and bun.
They were L3 last year, now getting ready for L4, so lots and lots of back extensions.

:-( I'm in Australia :)

I figure it doesn't make a difference hairwise. My DD's bun survives all of them anyway. I just haven't figured out what the one with straight legs to standing is called. Off to YouTube L3 routines...

High bun. Top of head. Slick hair with gel and pull into a high tight pony tail. Slick 'tail' with more gel and twist pony. Once pony is twisted, twirl around base of pony tail. Insert to spin pins. Cover with hair net. Scrunchie over bun. Clip in strays and spray with lots of Aqua Net and you have the unmovable bun

Interesting. I put the pins in through the net, not before. With the non-stretch nets I think you have to put them through the net.

Thanks :) Yes, Back extension is the back roll up to handstand. Her hair is long (mid back, almost to her bottom) thick and curly. I will try a high bun out for practice tomorrow. Her hair is long enough I can knot it into a bun, which helps keep it secure. Never need pins :)

Reactions: COz
Doesn't it end up bouncing around in a semi attached ball without pins to keep it squashed against the head?

Well I tie it in a knot, and the the tail end is long enough to get a rubber band around to hold in place. I use a couple of rubber bands for extra security (the tail still kind of sticking out), then a scrunchie over to tuck in the tail. Not sure if that makes sense...

Hi N's mom. We tried out at our current gym this time last year, we came down 3 times before Xmas as sport-crazy Dd finished some team commitments to make room for crazy gym hours this year....and at our new gym EVERY older competitive girl wears a bun to practise .... it was a learning curve. Dd reckons there should be Ideal testing ( our Aussie system for IDP kids) for bun hair!!LOL We had about 6 weeks of slithery buns that I really thought would stay the distance until we found the method that works for Dd- who has masses of superfine hair that is well past her waist. So I spray it well with a water mister bottle and put it up into a tight high pony tail ( the trick is to use 2 holders as they seem to grip on each other. )Dd likes the pony tail just forward from her crown. We plait the ponytail add a holder then twist it firmly around until a bun is formed. Then we weave bun pins in around the base, add another holder which holds the pins then a scrunchie to finish. We use plain clips and decorative clips to tame any flyaways, also a spray with any product- gel spray, hair spray etc helps. Rock solid and it has the advantage that if somehow it still comes loose you just have to go back a step to redo it. Some girls at our gym get away with no bun pins but they don't have the masses of superfine hair Dd does. Good luck!!

High bun. Top of head. Slick hair with gel and pull into a high tight pony tail. Slick 'tail' with more gel and twist pony. Once pony is twisted, twirl around base of pony tail. Insert to spin pins. Cover with hair net. Scrunchie over bun. Clip in strays and spray with lots of Aqua Net and you have the unmovable bun
This was exactly how we did it for many years...right down to the Aqua Net! DD was so used to the smell of aqua net she had to use it as part of her pre meet rituals! The only thing we did different was braid the pony tail and then twist it around. I never had to use pins though...just extra hair ties. If you leave the tail of the braid out and put hair ties on tightly we ever had it move....even after sleeping on it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back