Off Topic Strange vibe lately in reading posts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lynn

Proud Parent
Ok...so I totally understand that when you are reading an email, text etc, that the tone behind it could really be nothing and only what your mind reads. Anyways. My question is, why does it seem like lately some responses are out there that "read" like the responder is trying to make someone feel stupid or like an idiot? We are all here for one reason or another. Offer knowledge or a "shoulder" when things get tough. I have experienced both good and some slightly unpleasant (IMO) conversations here.

And moving forward, I am going to need a ton of advice as we are moving and leaving the only gym we've ever known.

Sorry if this is unfounded. I've just been noticing some things were a bit off. And yes, I do understand the differences in opinions and all that. I just struggle with the "tones" in the words I read sometimes.

I haven't often read posts where it seems to me that someone really is trying to make someone feel stupid, at least in the initial responses. I think that sometimes when the OP doesn't like the opinions they get back, that can induce frustration in those who have given their honest and sometimes expert opinions. It is also the case that posts can sound one way in someone's head and another way to someone else who is reading them. In my view people on here generally give honest and helpful advice which is well-intentioned.

I have never read any of those posts either, maybe one or two that read something like "Why would you ask that?", or something, putting out the message that the responder thinks that the person is completely stupid for asking for help on that topic. But mostly, people are nice when giving advice and truly do try to help you. If you get a really offending message, or there is one on a thread, I would forward it to the mods. Usually, though, people are nice and helpful.

I agree with your reply. Maybe I was just getting into some of the latter that you mentioned where frustrations have come out.

I haven't often read posts where it seems to me that someone really is trying to make someone feel stupid, at least in the initial responses. I think that sometimes when the OP doesn't like the opinions they get back, that can induce frustration in those who have given their honest and sometimes expert opinions. It is also the case that posts can sound one way in someone's head and another way to someone else who is reading them. In my view people on here generally give honest and helpful advice which is well-intentioned.
[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with GymMuminFrance. I've only had a couple of experiences where I felt like one poster in particular was unnecessarily rude. Interestingly it was the same poster both times. In both cases this person was not frustrated bc he/she had given an honest expert opinion and was just being generally rude. There is an "ignore" feature that can be used to block reading user's posts you would rather not see. Otherwise, I find that most people are usually very helpful. I've learned a tremendous amount from CB!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back