WAG Strap bar giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommyo2az

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Ok, now that level 6 season is winding down, DDs group is starting up strap bar giants.
DD did them last summer with coach giving her a push in her swings. Now they have to do it alone. DD can not get over the bar for the life of her! Swing, swing, swing...nothing.
She tells me that she is not scared, but just can't get over. Of course they rest of her group did it, so she's frustrated already!
I am assuming she will get there at some point?! Is it more lack of power, form, fear or a combo of all three?

I agree with Bog. She is also strapped on. If she *lets* her swing go over, it will. If she kills it, then nope. I've been doing strap giants for a couple years now and I can honestly say that for most of my teammates who can't get over, it's fear of hitting HS. I would say that it does take a good tap and some power to get up there from one swing, but with several swings, less is required. I get anxious still with CHS with spot on the normal bar, so it will come, I promise.

Some kids don't like strap bar. Mine didn't, they used them for giants for fun when she was compulsory gymnast. When she learned giants for level 7 it was all spotted, no straps. She will use them now if she has to, but prefers not to.

Ok, now that level 6 season is winding down, DDs group is starting up strap bar giants.
DD did them last summer with coach giving her a push in her swings. Now they have to do it alone. DD can not get over the bar for the life of her! Swing, swing, swing...nothing.
She tells me that she is not scared, but just can't get over. Of course they rest of her group did it, so she's frustrated already!
I am assuming she will get there at some point?! Is it more lack of power, form, fear or a combo of all three?
IF it isn't fear, I assume it's the timing of the tap or she's sticking out her head.

Reactions: sce
My DD hates the strap bar and will not do them in it. She says she fells like she will fall out. Can they spot her instead?

Are they spotting her on them? Have they done drills to prepare? Or are they just telling her to swing and try to get over? She needs to get an idea of how the skill works, and that doesn't always happen if they are just swinging and trying to fling themselves over the bar.

i hate strap bars. lol. my kid was doing them last year and her poor little wrists. we did get her those 80's sweat bands to help protect them. she doesn't mind strap bars though. i think she feels safe in them.

and it's a different feel from the real bars. mine had an issue when trying the giant on her own on the pit bar (with no spot) where she got stuck at the top b/c she couldn't get her hands/wrists around fast enough to go with her body. she fell straight down. luckily, on pit. but scared her. now she won't try w/o a spot from what i can tell. yay.

My DD witnessed a girl fall right out of the straps last year in old gym, she still has nightmares about her cries.

She still loves strap bars thank goodness bc gym uses them a lot.

Are they spotting her on them? Have they done drills to prepare? Or are they just telling her to swing and try to get over? She needs to get an idea of how the skill works, and that doesn't always happen if they are just swinging and trying to fling themselves over the bar.

She was spotted on them last summer, and they just started working them again because season is over. I think coach wanted to see what she could accomplish alone before spotting. Coach already told me that she will spot her on them, and like others have mentioned DD has told me she doesn't like strap and would rather just do it on the real bar. Fingers crossed she will see some progress on these through the summer!

Like most things on bars, it's mostly a matter or rhythm and shapes. With enough practice, you get the feel for it, and then its easy. There are no particular short cuts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back