Strength training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

shaolinfist

hello people, nice forum u got here mustve been designed by a girl lolo. thats a joke...
anyway, i have a question about strength training for you guys.

first off im not a gymnast although i really respect what you guys do.

so basically, id like to know as much as i can about the strength training you guys go through, it doesnt neccesarily matter what discipline or event you specialize in im interested in all methods.

mainly im coming here because i just recently stumbled upon planche pushups and when i saw them i said "I want that strength" lolo. but im not that strong, ive never ever in my life really cared to train for strength, i am a pretty big guy i guess im 6'3 i think and around 200 pounds maybe less or more not sure really.

umm anyway yeh i started the planche training or whatever by doing pushups with my hands at my waist..or really as close as i could get them because its so awkward to me to do this exercise.

at first i dunno maybe my form wasnt as good but i could do 15 or almost 20 i believe every set. the more i do these though the more it seems like im getting weaker, maybe my form is getting better but i dunno i dont think so.

so anyway, i was just wondering whats the deal with the strength training how to go about it in the best way, im determined to get that strength i just dunno really what im doing. even when i do these pushups im kinda just like...hands at waist and go at it and try not to arch my back and butt

any info and exp would be helpful.

gymnasticsbodies.com You guys will love this site and their tutorials, videos and the fact it's by the same author at that previous article on the planche, Coach Sommer.

If you want less of a girly look, go to the bottom of the page. Youo'll see on the left side a box that says chalkbucket pink, you can choose the chalkbucket original, which is way more macho and what most of the guys choose.

We aim to please!:D

Welcome to the chalkbucket.

hey that link didnt work but when i typed it in myself i got the website. anyway thats a good website. and ive read that article sasquatch and that guys video is one of the ones that made me want to do it. there are others though of guys holding onto a vertical bar but their sideways

and other crazy ****, i really like that, functional strength you know. i could careless how i look or how big my muscles are i just want the strength lolo and the stamina they get.

now looking back at that video you posted i realise how fast he does those psuedo pushups i have been doing them alot slower trying to work on perfect form lolo. maybe i should speed them up.

my wrists never hurt or anything either but the prehab pushups look like something im going to integrate now aswell.

hello people, nice forum u got here mustve been designed by a girl lolo. thats a joke...
anyway, i have a question about strength training for you guys.

first off im not a gymnast although i really respect what you guys do.

so basically, id like to know as much as i can about the strength training you guys go through, it doesnt neccesarily matter what discipline or event you specialize in im interested in all methods.

mainly im coming here because i just recently stumbled upon planche pushups and when i saw them i said "I want that strength" lolo. but im not that strong, ive never ever in my life really cared to train for strength, i am a pretty big guy i guess im 6'3 i think and around 200 pounds maybe less or more not sure really.

umm anyway yeh i started the planche training or whatever by doing pushups with my hands at my waist..or really as close as i could get them because its so awkward to me to do this exercise.

at first i dunno maybe my form wasnt as good but i could do 15 or almost 20 i believe every set. the more i do these though the more it seems like im getting weaker, maybe my form is getting better but i dunno i dont think so.

so anyway, i was just wondering whats the deal with the strength training how to go about it in the best way, im determined to get that strength i just dunno really what im doing. even when i do these pushups im kinda just like...hands at waist and go at it and try not to arch my back and butt

any info and exp would be helpful.

That brand of push up would seem to me to be a pretty advanced place to start since you say you've never cared to train strength and aren't that strong. One thing to keep in mind since you're going for the strength of a gymnast is that that strength is also paired with flexibility. If you're not feeling pain, but the push ups are getting worse, then you may want to stretch more since tightness impacts your range of motion.

i believe your right about the flexibility and whatnot. im actually ashamed to say that im not as flexible as i would like lolo but i am working on this. i thought this might be the problem ive been trying to work on that alot more, both dynamicly and static.

i try and focus on flexibility everywhere, i roll out the joints before i stretch and i try and do my best to work all parts of my body. i was thinking about maybe neglecting the pushups but i am now thinking that might not be the case, maybe i should just do what i can.

but it was just kind of annoying you know, going down in reps just felt wierd like wtf lolo thats never happend to me before, i do them till i cant do anymore and i push myself hard and focus on going slow and keeping correct form and i usually can only do 15 for the first 2 sets then i collapse after 13

was very aggrovating..lolo and now im here

I'd take quality over quantity any day! Pair it with stretching though. It helps to think of muscles/ligaments/tendons as a rubber band. If you stretch out a rubber band and then let it snap back, it snaps back tighter than before. If you take that rubber band and stretch it across something long for awhile, it retains the length from the stretching.

Working out without stretching before and after is like the stretch-snap scenario on your body. Pairing it with a good 10 or so minutes before and after you workout is the stretch over time method that will retain or increase your range of motion.

There should always be a warmup before a workout or stretch. However excessive passive stretching before a workout has been studied and shown to be detrimental towards working out efficiency and safety.

For the wrist pushups, start with them on your knees with a 90 degree hip angle or start with them with your hands elevated while on your knees or feet. If need be, do them against a wall.

thanks for the tips. but what kind of warmup do you suggest before a stretch?

i usually just roll out my joints and start doing some dynamic stretching followed by different stretches.

Dynamic stretching is just fine. Do some basics like rolls, cartwheels, handstand forward rolls, chasse, lunge walks. A pass or two of each side is fine enough. It all depends on your space and time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back