WAG stressed about skipping gymnastics!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey everyone, basically I’m going to keep this short. So this summer I have several amazingly fun vacations planned. That means two week long vacations and another half week long vacation. To everyone else, this would be exciting, but i honestly kind of am dreading it. I HATE missing out on practice, or anything in general. But mostly gymnastics. I’m trying to improve a lot this summer, but with missing so much practice, I just feel so stressed about it. Is this normal to think about missing practice so far in advance? Let me know. Even when I’m on vacations, practice is always in the back of my mind and kind of kills my mood. Let me know if you think this is weird and if you can give me advice to help me deal with it this summer. thank you to anyone who replies back!

I am a parent of a gymnast that feels exactly as you do. She will not really accept any more than two weeks from practice and one of those weeks is gymnastics camp. Don't worry you are not alone. With that said some time off is good for your body. It allows aches to heal and sore muscle to completely recover, do not be surprised if after a week off, you may actually feel stronger. Lastly, my daughter takes her vacation work out along with her and does conditioning a few times a week. She also tends to find someone to tumble with on the beach. So maybe you can allow yourself to enjoy the vacation if you make a plan on how to condition some stretch and know that the time away will let your body recover.

It is totally not weird. My family goes on vacation for about 10 days every summer and I have felt this way about missing practice since I was 8 years old. I've been missing practice more than I'd like to lately due to a lot of required senior events at my school, and I feel a little bit of stress every time I have to miss. I found that the time off was actually sometimes helpful for fears because I would come back feeling motivated instead of dreading practice. Also if it helps, one of my best friends is a Level 10 and she misses the entire summer every year for sleepaway camp. So time off in the summer doesn't necessarily have to hold you back that much!

I'm the parent, not the gymnast, but I also feel a bit like this! What if when we get back from our two week holiday, she's forgotten all she's learned! But the family need a break, and to be honest probably so does her body (and mind!). Hopefully she'll get it all back quickly when she gets home. But yes, the slight nervousness is definitely there! Also, will all her group zoom ahead while she's not there (again - unlikely as they're all going to have holidays too!!!) Hopefully we'll be able to relax and enjoy it once we get there!

Not weird at all.

But enjoy your vacation (sure, condition & stretch) but enjoy the vacation!!!

You will look back when you are older and remember the vacation. and you will remember gymnastics practices as a whole. But you will not remember that specific gymnastic practice on that specific day, that you missed.
I PROMISE.

Gymnastics will be there when you get back home! and you will have some amazing memories & see some of this amazing world. You are a lucky kid!

Try your best not to get stressed out. Enjoy everything you get to experience.

Ask her coach to give you a strength program she can follow while she is away. Don’t stress her muscle memory will come back and her skills will be fine as long as she keeps her strength and cardio up. Go for runs along the beach and even try doing the strength training with her. Make it a fun family moment :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back