Coaches Stretches names and muscles affected.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Marino

Coach
Judge
I found that many gyms have different names for the same stretches. I also found that many websites state incorrect muscles affected by a stretch.

I would love to hear your opinion. I have create a page with a gallery of stretches which are all numbered. I would like to hear what you think the stretch is called and which muscles are affected (primary and secondary muscles).

You can see the gallery here

thank you, Peter

1. Pike Stretch with flexed feet - Calf and Hamstrings
2. I'd call this standing straddle, we however do not do this. Not sure on the muscles
3. Standing Pike - Calf and Hamstrings
4. Straight leg lunge with flexed foot - calf and hamstring
5. Straight leg lunge -
6. Standing straddle to one side?? Don't do these either, but that's what I would call it.
7. Butterfly - Hip Flexors
8. & 9. & 10. I don't know
11. Split hip stretch is what we call it.
12. Split with hands by front foot.
13. Split ring stretch
14. 15. 16. 17. 18. We've never done
19. Lunge pulling back leg up.
20. 21. 22. Never done
23. Middle Splits
24. Straddle go to one side
25. Straddle nose to your knee with flexed foot
26. Straddle nose to your knee
27. Straddle to the middle
28. Standing Quad Stretch
29. Pike
30. & 31. Done these but never called them something
32. Butterfly stretch pushing your knees down
33. Butterfly stretch forward

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the muscles they stretch!

4 and 5 are the same stretch, changing foot flexion to extension decreases the emphasis on the calf
8 and 9 are both the same stretch at different points both are laying splits (as opposed to standing splits)
10 and 11 are also variations of the same stretch. With the knee down, it tends to place more stretch on the quadriceps as well as the hip flexor group, though in gymnasts that's minimal. 10 is a more active stretch that would be very useful in warm up
14 and 15 are also the same stretch, usually called the hurdler's stretch, it primarily stretches the quadriceps
16, 17, and 18 are really great ways to destroy your knees. Without the same kind of flexibility as the gymnast rendered in the picture, the force on the knee is directly lateral, which puts strain on the joint itself
19 is a very intense quad stretch (often called the couch stretch because it can be done with the back leg up against a couch)
20 is a standing lunge (crescent lunge), primarily aimed at the hip flexor group
21 is a deeper hip stretch (lizard)
22 is a passive version of 20, often called low lunge
23 pancake (splits), hip adductors mostly
24 "straddle sit, reach up and over"- latissimus dorsi, obliques, spinal erectors
25 same as 24, but more emphasis on the spinal erectors
26 same as 25, in gymnasts, there's almost no difference between point and flex in this stretch (for stiff old adults, flex foot will put a deeper stretch into the calf and hamstring, but most people are limited by the back and hips in this stretch)
27 is the same as 23, depending on flexibility (with flexibility like that, there's no real difference between stretch in a pancake vs a split pancake). There's less emphasis on the hamstrings with the legs in middle splits.
28 standing quad stretch
29 pike
30 one leg pike (same muscles as pike)
31 one leg straddle sit (same muscles as straddle sit reach up and over)
Both 30 and 31 give some more isolation and twist to the stretches--which for some can stretch the back.
32 butterfly (hip capsule)
33 butterfly reach forward (hip capsule and spinal erectors)

The "which muscles they stretch" part gets a little vague with anything in the hips. Depending on where gymnasts are tight, they may experience the stretch in different ways. A really effective coach will be able to notice limitations on focus on those, but that's a tough challenge for anyone.

@Marino | Will you be adding pictures and lists of upper body stretches? Ones for shoulders, arms, abdominals, shoulders, wrists, etc.? I'd be very interested to see a full, comprehensive list of stretches for any part of the body.

@Arron, yes there will come stretches for the upper body,.. more specific the shoulders. I'm also writing a book about shoulder flexibility. I'm almost done with the book about splits (the book is currently being reviewed by physiotherapist).

Don't know exactly when the illustrations will be ready for shoulder flexibility, but I am hoping somewhere around 2-4 weeks. I'll post a thread when the illustrations are ready and would like to hear the communities names and muscles affected about those too.

thanks,
Peter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back